Better Cake Texture/mixes??

Decorating By korkyo Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 6:06pm by butterflywings

korkyo Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:02pm
post #1 of 5

Any tips on how to get a better cake texture with box mixes. Mixing faster or slower longer or shorter.

I asked this once before but can't find it. icon_redface.gif

Thanks,

4 replies
indydebi Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:29pm
post #2 of 5

sift the cake mix. when I first heard this suggestion, I honestly thought "geesh, some people have too much time on their hands!" But I tried it and I can't BELIEVE how much grander my cakes look!

I used to run the mixer for a LONG time to get the batter to a silky smoothness .... now it only takes less than 2 minutes!

This is the suggestion that made me adopt the philosophy of "If it's recommended by a CC'er, then we're at least giving it a try!" thumbs_up.gif

kerri729 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 5

I second that, I too thought wow, time-consuming, then honestly I saw a post by indydeb that she tried and loved it, and now I am a firm believer.........I have a cake due tonight, and I for the first time sifted the mixes before putting in the KA- wow, what a difference, silky smooth- I also use the enhance cake formula from this site on all my mix cakes, and the texture for decorating, stacking, etc is fabulous, and they taste great too!
Kerri icon_wink.gif

butterflywings Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 5

actually, what i do is take the "firm chocolate cake" recipe found in the recipe section here on the site and i use that recipe. did this for my teapot cakes (2 were chocolate - 1 devil's food box mix, other 1 chocolate fudge box mix - both using walmart brand chocolate pudding box mixes. the other 2 cakes were french vanilla box mixes and french vanilla pudding mixes but otherwise exactly as the recipe states).

what i got with both were nice dense and very firm cakes that were so moist and delish that the ladies couldn't stop raving about them. one lady even said to me "you know, i've seen really pretty cakes before but when you cut into them and eat them, they are dry or just icky. yours are beautiful AND taste fabulous"

butterflywings Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 5

ok, here's the link for the recipe

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6963-Firm-Chocolate-Cake.html

i think you could substitute any flavor cake and use a complimentary flavor pudding mix and get the same texture result.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%