Special Q Re Shaped Fbct

Decorating By oceanspitfire Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 10:48am by peg818

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 5:34am
post #1 of 2

I did a search in the topics for FBCT anything that looked like it had to do with curved or shaped FBCT. My question wasn't anywhere so here it is.
I have done FBCT on a flat surface. I would like to do a wine bottle label FBCT. The wine bottle (cake) will be laying down on a sheet cake. I can grasp that it is possible to do the FBCT directly over a real wine bottle and freeze that. My concern though is that when I carve and ice the wine bottle cake, to have it exactly the right size for placing the FBCT on it after. Concern because if it doesn't fit exactly then it might break? Is there a solution?
My limited experience with FBCT or transfers period, only got me coming up with the idea of doing the FBCT right on the bottle/cake, freezing that. But then I wonder about bleeding or any issues that might arise. Or is it possible to freeze the bottle/cake, ice it, and then do the FBCT right on it? I have read and I understand there are problems with icing a frozen cake or placing another layer of icing (e.g. FBCT on frozen icing).
I know this is more than 'one' question. I'm wondering what the best method might be for making sure my FBCT wine bottle label and my wine bottle cake, will be exactly the same shape.
Thank you so much for any ideas/brainstorms/solutions.

1 reply
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 10:48am
post #2 of 2

here's how i would do it, (i don't freeze my bct) make the cake get it all iced the way you want it, then make the bct and instead of freezing it flat, place on the cake(take off the board, leaving the waxed paper on), pop the whole cake into the fridge or freezer and let the icing get really hard, then peal the waxed paper off of the transfer.

If you are using a butter cream that is made with alot of real butter, this should work with no problems, if you are using a crisco based icing i don't know how hard the transfer becomes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%