Compressor For Airbrushing

Decorating By puzzlegut Updated 19 Apr 2008 , 5:21pm by Arriva

puzzlegut Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:39am
post #1 of 6

I've been looking at getting a compressor for airbrushing. Can I use just a regular air compressor or does it need to be a special one specifically used for airbrushing? Harbor Freight has an airbrush compressor on sale ( and I don't want to get it if I can just use a regular air compressor. Thanks.

5 replies
MnSnow Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 10:41am
post #2 of 6

I got mine from harbor freight. It was one that only went to 30 psi. Anything higher would blow yur icing off of yur cake!

Another place would be your home improvement stores. Just make sure it has a low psi.

puzzlegut Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 6

What I'm asking is do I have to buy an air compressor that is made specifically for airbrushing, or can I just use a regular air compressor? We have 2 of them at home and I don't want to get a 3rd one if I can just use the ones we already have.

tiggy2 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 6

It depends on what you have. Will it hook up to your air hose and what is the psi? You want the psi to be under 30.

Starkie Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 6

I would check the PSI on what you have already to see if it's something you can use. From my understanding, the compressor simply pushes the air into the brush, which mixes the air with the color and sprays it onto your art. I wouldn't think that any paint or food coloring would make it's way back into the compressor, so it should be safe for you to use.

Maybe you could make a practice cake and airbrush it using the compressor you have, to be sure that everything comes out okay. I bought a compressor at AC Moore with a 50% off coupon, and use it only for cakes, and it works just fine for spraying the whole thing. (I haven't tried it for fine/detail work yet.) I would definitely try what you have before buying something new. Maybe someone else has better knowledge and can give other advice?

Good luck,

Arriva Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 6

It can not be a conventional piston type compression (the kind my husband has in his shop) as this will introduce small amounts of oil vapor into your cake. Kopykake has an oil-less piston type compressor. The important thing here is that the oil can potentially make someone ill. Another type of compressor is a diaphragm compressor which will isolate any oil vapors from the air stream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%