How Do I Bake Cakes That Don't Have A Dome?

Decorating By Mosaic Updated 19 Apr 2008 , 7:37pm by akgirl10

Mosaic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mosaic Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:54am
post #1 of 12

I'm sure you can tell by my question that I am a beginner.

I read somewhere that you can tied a strip of damp fabric around the sides of your cake pan in a tight knot and that will help to create a more flat, less domed cake top. I tried it and it helped a little.

I'm assuming there are pans that would help with this problem. But, in the short term, I'd rather not buy anything new. Is there a way to solve this problem or improve the situation?

M.

11 replies
Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:58am
post #2 of 12

Maybe baking at a lower temp, slightly longer time. (325)

Magic strips or bake-even strips do help a lot. People use the wet towels/fabric as an alternative. You may be able to find some cheap on ebay.

How much batter are you putting in the pans?

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:04am
post #3 of 12

I bake at 325 until they are ready........varies depending on which kind of cake I am making.....

but I always tap the pans on the counter a few times to take out bubbles and level my batter. after I tap I find if i spin them once or twice it also helps making sure my batter is even.

Then after they are done baking they come out just perfect. I dont ever have to level or cut I just flip out and ice! if there is a slight rise after they are pulled out that tends to lower to the perfect hieght once cooled.

bethyboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyboop Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:11am
post #4 of 12

some will disagree because it changes the density of the cake, but, while the cake is hot, i press the top of the cake down to make it even. I have not had anyone complain that my cakes are too dense.

jbnhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbnhayes Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:13am
post #5 of 12

I do use the Wilton Bake Even strips and they really do the job. You can also try using a recipe that includes pudding. It makes for a heavier, moister cake that bakes flatter.

hollyw567 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyw567 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:24am
post #6 of 12

I bake my cakes at a low temp, too (315-325) but still get a dome. I also press my cakes a little right when they come out of the oven and I have never had a complaint with the denseness either.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:35pm
post #7 of 12

All of the above suggestions are head-on to help reduce the doming, but I dont' want to leave you with the impression that all of us have cakes come out of the oven perfectly flat. This rarely happens. We reduce the doming with the above tips, but we get our perfectly flat cakes by utilizing the push-down method or by triming off the excess doming.

HEre's a thread that explains the science of the baking strips and why they work: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=3467363#3467363

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:00pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

All of the above suggestions are head-on to help reduce the doming, but I dont' want to leave you with the impression that all of us have cakes come out of the oven perfectly flat. This rarely happens. We reduce the doming with the above tips, but we get our perfectly flat cakes by utilizing the push-down method or by triming off the excess doming.

HEre's a thread that explains the science of the baking strips and why they work: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=3467363#3467363

Ditto to indydebi! thumbs_up.gif That is what I was going to say. icon_biggrin.gif

Mosaic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mosaic Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 12:06pm
post #9 of 12

Thank you! You all have been so helpful. I will definitely try your tips!

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 2:25pm
post #10 of 12

I agree with indydebi. Use the tips, but if your cakes still dome cut it.

nicolepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolepa Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 5:14pm
post #11 of 12

After I grease my pans I pop them in the freezer while the oven preheats & I mix up the cake. I also spin the pan after i put the batter in.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 7:37pm
post #12 of 12

I like a little bit of a domed top, it gives my some trimmings to munch on icon_biggrin.gif .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%