Egg-Yolk Free Choco Mousse??

Baking By servingzero Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 2:23am by servingzero

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:19am
post #1 of 9

Okay, does anyone know of a chocolate mousse recipe that is great tasting and has no egg yolks? (whites are fine)

Or, can I use just the whites rather than the whole egg in the recipe I have (and love) ??

Thanks for any help (a veggie request)

8 replies
celestecakes78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
celestecakes78 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 9

The chocolate mousse recipe that I use just has a little milk, heavy cream and a box of instant jello pudding mix chocolate flavor.Its a breeze to whip up takes less than 5 mins and holds up alot longer than a traditional recipe with eggs.I used to make the one with eggs and it was a pain. I switched to this and I've never gotten any complaints.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 9

You do not need to use real eggs, use Egg beaters instead, then you need not worry.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar

You do not need to use real eggs, use Egg beaters instead, then you need not worry.

make sure you read the label to ensure that yolks are not an ingredient. i am pretty sure though that they dont contain them (the yellow comes from flavors and spices). however, spices dont sound appetizing in chocolate mousse.

i'd consider doing a whipped chocolate ganache instead. equal parts chocolate to cream, bring cream to a bboil and pour over choc. sit for 2 minutes then stir until melted. cool for 4 hours and then whip up. the darker the chocolate, the more stable and firm the ganache will be.

Heather35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather35 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 9

I've made this quite a few times as a dessert. I do not remember where I got this recipe from:

1 can sweeten condensed milk
cocoa powder to taste (1/3-1/2 cup)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups Heavy cream

mix condensed milk, cocoa powder, and vanilla: add heavy cream and whip to medium peak.

I've never tried it as a cake filling, but it holds up just as well as a regular chocolate mousse.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 9

Egg beaters does contain real yolks, I read this subject wrong I think, maybe someone is allergic to egg yolks? The difference between fresh eggs & egg beaters is that the egg beaters have been pasteurized & are safe to eat without cooking. You can buy all white as well.

servingzero Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for the replies. The suggestions are great, and I'll have to try them out!
It's not an allergy, but apparantly a moral decision of the recipient. She's a vegetarian, and equates the egg "yolks" to "baby chicks" ... but the whites are fine. (doesn't really make sense to me, since they really aren't babies until they're fertilized... but hey, i do what I'm asked)

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 9

what she doesnt know wont hurt her (evit laugh BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA HA !) j/k.....

servingzero Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:23am
post #9 of 9

HAHAHAHAHA melysa! I'd probably be the more evil if I lied and said I hadn't THOUGHT about that! Haha, if she tasted it, I'm sure she'd agree that baby chicks were worth it! MWWWHAHAHA!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%