Fondant Tassels?

Decorating By nicksmom Updated 24 May 2008 , 12:46am by Kitagrl

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 14

DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO MAKE TASSELLS OUT OF GUMPASTE/FONDANT?ANY HINTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

13 replies
bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:18am
post #2 of 14

Do you have a sugarpaste gun? if so just use the multiple hole disc and squeez out the lenght you need then at a cap at the top of the tassel.. or just form the shape of a tassell and use a toothpick and make indents on it to create a tassel look.. hth icon_rolleyes.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:32am
post #3 of 14

i also use a garlic press for tassels, grass, etc.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:38am
post #4 of 14

I use my pasta attachment for my Kitchen Aid! I LOVE IT!

Beth

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:12am
post #5 of 14

Ohh Bethola! I like that idea! I never even thought of that on...I will have to give it a try.. How have you been...?

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:48am
post #6 of 14

Good thanks! Keep thinkin' I'm gonna take a "cake break" and then someone just "has to have" a cake! LOL

Have you been keepin' busy as well?

Beth in KY

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:47am
post #7 of 14

i have a clay extruder that i use

aprilbree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilbree Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 14

butterflywings...i just bought an extruder last night because i'm attempting to make collette peter's pasta-roni cake...i need to make spaghetti. I tried to push fondant through but it took major muscle work...do you have a suggestion on how to make it work better? I bought mine from Joann's...it's fairly small...probably six or seven inches long. i kneaded the fondant a bit...and I thought about maybe nuking it for a few seconds to soften it, but i've never done that before and wasn't sure if it would damage the fondant too much. how do you do your's?

butterflywings Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 14

i grease the fondant w/shortening.. not much, just enough to make it slickery (yes, that's my new word LOL). i have a cheapy clay gun right now, the Makin's one that you have to PUSH.. I want to get the nicer one that screws (not so hard on the hands LOL)

aprilbree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilbree Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:11am
post #10 of 14

oh good!! i'll try that idea first...yeah i was pretty disappointed....i hate spending money on things that i don't know for sure are gonna work! arg! i like bethola's kitchen-aid pasta attachment idea too.... icon_lol.gif thanks for sharing!! i'll let you know how it goes icon_smile.gif

Oh! and thanks for getting back so quickly...i JUST posted that and figured i'd check back tomorrow! the cake's due tues. morning.

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:15am
post #11 of 14

i use a play-do fun factiru machine thing. it has a slot with tiny holes to create tassels...that's i've used in the past.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:20am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

i grease the fondant w/shortening.. not much, just enough to make it slickery (yes, that's my new word LOL). i have a cheapy clay gun right now, the Makin's one that you have to PUSH.. I want to get the nicer one that screws (not so hard on the hands LOL)

I have the one that screws. I used one of those hobby lobby coupons when I got it, so it wasn't too expensive. I usually will microwave the fondant (I use MMF) for a few seconds so it gets squishy. It's a little bit tedious unscrewing it to fill up again and it seems to need refilled really quickly. Other than that, I like it.

butterflywings Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:22am
post #13 of 14

Texas_Rose -- I've heard lots of good things about that particular Makin's tool and I WILL get it one of these days LOL

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:46am
post #14 of 14

My first choice is an extruder gun but my boss showed me a trick to use in a pinch...just cut a square of paste and then use a knife to cut small ribbons into it, just dont cut all the way through....leave about 1/4"-1/2" (depending on size of tassel) at the end. Then just start at one end of the non-cut edge, and roll it up, and pinch the top together. There you have a quick and easy tassel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%