Very Confused And Don't Know What To Do? Need Help Asap!

Business By CakeMommyTX Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 2:26pm by sweetneice

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 10

Ok I will try to explain this without confusing everyone.
I have a customer that wants a sheet cake with Baby Minnie and Mickey sleeping with pillows and blankets and Pluto.

When I orginally talked to her she just want it all in butter cream (the cheapest option), I gave her the option of having fondant figurines for a more expensive price.

So I talked to her again on the phone to confirm the order and I gave her the cheaper of the two prices (by mistake), I then emailed her to let her know I had given her the wrong price, I never heard back from her.

I then called her and told her I had given her the wrong price for the cake , she told me she had already budgeted for the lower price cake and she could'nt afford the fondant one.

I said ok, I did'nt really know what else to say.
However it was never really confirmed whether or not she was expecting the fondant minnie and mickey (I know an error on my part).
This customer has been really vague and hard to get a hold of.

So here I am debating whether or not to make the fondant figurines or just do a fbct.

I know I should call her but I feel like a dumba@#, I did give her two prices one for butter cream and one for fondant, since she is paying the butter cream price should I take it upon myself and make the cake butteR cream, or just take the loss (a pretty big one) and make the fondant?

Hope I have'nt confused you guys too much, and tune in next week for another episode of the "All My Cakes"

9 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 10

It is hard to answer, using Licensed characters is not legal.

However, since you don't have anything in writing, and you were not 'certain' and firm with her, she will be expecting more.

You can take the loss, or take the unhappy customer.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 10

I'd say that since you say that she's being vague, you should call her once more to confirm the order. At that point you can say this is what you're getting, please call me if there are any changes, and see if she calls back. If you're not sure if she even wants the cake you could also use my favorite line, which is something along the lines of "If I don't hear from you by xxxx date, I'll assume that you don't want the cake." That tends to get people to call you back pretty fast, and you can clarify with her then.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:03am
post #4 of 10

If you gave her the cheaper of the two prices when you confirmed, I would do the figures and give it to her for the cheaper price. She was probably expecting the figures and the price you gave her. I think it was your mistake, and I would rather have a happy customer who may return than to go back and change the price after I'd already quoted her, but that's JMO!

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:14pm
post #5 of 10

Reproducing licensed products is illegal so you shouldn't be doing fondant or a fbct. icon_sad.gif

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:30pm
post #6 of 10

I would call to confirm the order again. It really sounds like she expects the fondant figures though.

Wanted to also point out that fondant or bc versions of characters like that are illegal.

You can make cakes with characters using licensed cake kits or licensed edible images only.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:41pm
post #7 of 10

I'm gonna have to agree with Jen1977. Do the BC w/fondant figurines at the lower price.

PLus, I always email an invoice to the customer a few days before teh cake is due and ask them to look it over and make sure everything is correct. It's up to you, but you could put on there the real price and then a discount to reflect the lower price.

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 10

Just my 2 cents worth here but could you look online for something similar to the figures in a plastic toy or shower decoration and use that? That would be cheaper then your time and supplies with the fondant figures AND solve your illegal use of the licensed characters issue in one shot.
I know you can get tons of stuff out there online, maybe you could find something like that then the customer would also have a keepsake item as well.
HTH

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:00pm
post #9 of 10

Yes.. I agree 100%. You can't legally sell a fondant figure that looks like mickey or minnie so I would make a cake that would compliment the theme and have her grab some toys. I know you can find baby minnie and mickey toys and I am sure I have seen sleeping ones at one point. icon_smile.gif

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:26pm
post #10 of 10

I agree with all of you. Go ahead and either do the fondant figures or grab the toys. I know it's a loss, but sometimes when we hit our head *ouch*, we have to take the loss that comes with it. I would also send an invoice explaining what she is getting. That way if she doesn't see something she thought she was getting, she'll DEFINITELY call you. I've always thought that if I have to keep calling a customer about something, they think I'm incompetent on my part, unless it was something they caused an error on, and I haven't talked to them at all. Run to the store and get the figurines and be done with it. Hey, ya learned a lesson, we all do at some point! HUGS TO YOU, and keep us updated along with the pics! Happy Baking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%