Fondant Smoothing Techniques Needed

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 3:22pm by Lori2240

Lori2240 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 4

My nerves always get a bit frazzled right before I am about to drape fondant over my cake. Does anyone have any good pointers before I go about this next one. I am doing a rather tall (approx) 8 inch flower pot type shape. It will be narrow on the top and on the bottom and wider in the middle. Do you think this will be too difficult to tackle for someone who does not have the confidence of smoothing fondant. Thanks!!

3 replies
Lori2240 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 4

Anyone? Pretty Please...

laurascakedesign Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 4

Hi Lori 2240
I just finished a diet pepsi can cake (at 4:30 this morning!) that is probably very similar shape as yours. It ended up being about 8" tall. the first one I tried didn't work out so well - the whole thing just sagged and leaned. I talked to a friend of mine in CA who does absolutely beautiful sculpted cakes, and is my longtime mentor, and she told me this one crucial tip about sculpted cakes:
-People want to see a thing, not a cake. Do not worry about the inside, do whatever you have to do to make it look like what they want it to look like.
In this case, I made my cake a little denser, more like a pound cake, used thicker layers and a little less icing, and then shoved 3 dowels down the middle, the exact same height as the cake. then I did a thinner layer of fondant so that the weight wouldn't damage the cake or make it lean. also, use another piece of fondant on the very top (mine was the silver can top) because your dowels will probably make little dents. No sweat, they cover up quite nicely.
If you are still nervous about putting it on, get someone to slide your little cake under as you lift the fondant up, so that you can put it right where you want and not move it around too much.
Hope that helps!

Lori2240 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for the great response!!! That is definitely info I can use. I was debating whether or not to use dowels. Kinda the same idea as yours, but mine will probably be fatter (about 9 in. at its widest). Maybe better safe than sorry. I still worry about it sagging though. Maybe I will do like you said and make the fondant a little thinner and less icing between layers. Thank you so much for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%