Dummy Cake Help!

Decorating By moniquerei Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 4:10pm by icer101

moniquerei Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all... I am making a 3 tier cake this weekend. I only need the servings that would be yielded from two of the tiers so I am going to try a dummy cake for the top tier. I am using buttercream frosting to decorate. Do I have to (or should I) do anything to prepare the foam? Should I cover it with something 1st? Can I use it again?Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank You!! thumbs_up.gif

3 replies
seagoat Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 4

I haven't worked with one yet, but they say to tightly wrap with saran wrap (plastic wrap) then use a hair dryer to shrink wrap the plastic. Don't over heat, then after your cake is used you can just take off the plastic wrap.

Hope that helps

moniquerei Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 4

thanks you...has anyone tried this?

icer101 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 4

i teach wilton classes.. i have a dummie cake here that i wrapped with press and seal, the brand name, can,t think of it right now... then iced it with buttercream and did a demo at the store ... i did the basket weave that is taught in course 11 .. i did this several months ago. it still looks like i just did it yesterday. i use this to show the class what their cake will look like. so again i covered the dummie in press and seal . just pressed it down really good. no blow dryer or anything. i think you would use the dryer if used cling wrap or something like that... but not with this press and seal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%