Dummy Cake Help!

Decorating By moniquerei Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 4:10pm by icer101

moniquerei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moniquerei Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all... I am making a 3 tier cake this weekend. I only need the servings that would be yielded from two of the tiers so I am going to try a dummy cake for the top tier. I am using buttercream frosting to decorate. Do I have to (or should I) do anything to prepare the foam? Should I cover it with something 1st? Can I use it again?Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank You!! thumbs_up.gif

3 replies
seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 4

moniquerei,

I haven't worked with one yet, but they say to tightly wrap with saran wrap (plastic wrap) then use a hair dryer to shrink wrap the plastic. Don't over heat, then after your cake is used you can just take off the plastic wrap.

Hope that helps

J

moniquerei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moniquerei Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 4

thanks you...has anyone tried this?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 4

i teach wilton classes.. i have a dummie cake here that i wrapped with press and seal, the brand name, can,t think of it right now... then iced it with buttercream and did a demo at the store ... i did the basket weave that is taught in course 11 .. i did this several months ago. it still looks like i just did it yesterday. i use this to show the class what their cake will look like. so again i covered the dummie in press and seal . just pressed it down really good. no blow dryer or anything. i think you would use the dryer if used cling wrap or something like that... but not with this press and seal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%