Flowers For Castle Cake, What To Use?

Decorating By Cavners5 Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 6:48pm by Cavners5

Cavners5 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 3

icon_redface.gif I am a newbie, and am having a hard time. I am wanting to make a princess castle cake for my daughter's 3rd birthday (May 4th). I would like to make some flower's for it, but do not know what to use! I found a recipe on CC for crusting cream cheese frosting (thanks Dee Anne) for the frosting for the cake. I went to Wilton's website, and that was no help at all. I am bretty crafty (sew, woodcrafts, quilt, paint.....) so when I put my mind to something....I dig in!

You are ALL so talented here, so I thought I would ask your advice......also, this sight is addicting (when I can get on it)

2 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 3

You can make flowers out of cream cheese icing, as long as it's stiff enough to hold the shape. You can make them out of buttercream (yummy) or royal icing (not yummy, dries rock hard) too. You can make roses with a flower nail, tip 12 base and tip 104 petals. You can make drop flowers or more intricate flowers (tons of good directions in the wilton yearbooks).

My favorite way to make flowers is fondant. If you liked playdoh when you were a kid, you'll love fondant (plus if you forget and pop it in your mouth while you're working, you don't get that yucky playdoh taste icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif) Anyhow, fondant and flower cutters is my favorite way to make flowers. You can find Wilton flower cutters at Michaels or Hobby Lobby (print out that 40% off any one item coupon from their website before you go!) You also need a ball tool and a foam square. Roll the fondant, cut a flower, thin the petals with the ball tool on the foam square, and dry. You can buy flower formers, but you can also dry flowers in other things for different an egg carton lined with plastic wrap, on the curve of a soda bottle or a spice of my favorites is the plastic tray that manicotti comes in. If you dry the flowers on something so they're not flat, then when you stick them on the cake you get a neat 3D effect.

You can make flags for your castle out of fondant too, and can paint on fondant with food coloring thinned with vodka.

Welcome to cake decorating icon_biggrin.gif You're going to love it!

Cavners5 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 3

thank you so very much......I have worked very little with fondant, and it terrifies me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%