Fresh Strawberry Cake...

Baking By johnson6ofus Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 6:45pm by johnson6ofus

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 4

I kind of hijacked this from another forum, but WE LOVE a strawberry shortcake/ cream cake thing from the Phoenix Bakery in Chinatown, Los Angeles, CA. Yes, Chinatown---- they are famous for this cake. It is a light yellow/ sponge cake layer, then fresh strawberries and a very light whipped cream (maybe?), layered and stacked high. Then sliced almonds around the side, and standard "birthday cake" (flowers, roses, borders) type surface decorations garnished with strawberries. Please make your best recommendation and recipe for the cake? strawberry/ filling? icing?

My kid had a tough year at school, and I would love to surprise him with it when he comes home for the summer....

THANKS!

3 replies
johnson6ofus Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 4

http://www.phoenixbakeryinc.com/cakes/index.html is their website. You can see it is tall--- maybe if I remember, like 4 layers???

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:03pm
post #3 of 4

here is a bump........sorry I don't have any suggestions on how to make that specific cake. You can always buy the angel food cake mix or just make a yellow cake with a box of pudding. Cut up the strawberries and add some sugar and let them sit in the fridge and let the juice make a syrup and then just use whipped cream when ready to serve.

johnson6ofus Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 4

thanks for the bump, it is just the sponge cake "base" that is really good. Too bad one of their baker's aren't on here....icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%