Heavy Fondant!!

Decorating By cakemommy Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 12:36am by cakemommy

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 9

Okay, so here's a question while we are talking about sharp edges with buttercream. How in the WORLD does one achieve straight sides and beautiful edges when covering a cake with fondant?

How do you keep the fondant from weighing down so heavily on the top edges of the cake giving a more rounded appearance? How do you keep the sides looking smooth like the cake is actually styrofoam covered in fondant!

THAT'S what I want to know!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Amy

8 replies
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 9

Oh my,

There is no way that I can explain it all... Level the sides and tops, chill firm, use 1/4" fondant, use both fondant smoothers in concert on the edges... I highly recommend that you get SugarShack's Fondant DVD when you can... icon_smile.gif Anyway, there's a start... Still working on mine...lol

HTH...
Pat

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 9

You can achieve sharp edges if you put a layer of marzipan on first.

First do the side of the cake by measuring around the cake (if its round) and the height and cutting a strip of marzipan to fit, then a size to fit the top of the cake. If its square, then cut a strip the size of each side and attach each side separately, then do the top the same. This is used mostly on royal iced cakes as it gives sharp edges, but can be used with fondant if that is the look you want.
Of course not everyone wants marzipan, so as pat said, if you chill the cake first it will be firmer to ice, but for really sharp edges you will need to marzipan. icon_smile.gif
Jan

cakemommy Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you both for replying! I have always wanted to do a royal iced cake because of the sharp edges. Such a clean crisp look.

Anyway, I have always thought 1/4" thickness was too thick. If that's what will help then that's what I will do.......probably what I should have been doing all along huh?! icon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gif

I was just looking at SugarShack's site today. $24.95 is a lot to pay for a DVD. I don't even buy movies on DVD for that much.....BUT......there's always a but.....if it indeed contains everything I need to know to make my fondant covered cakes more "stream line" icon_rolleyes.gif then that's what I have to do.

Chilling the cakes is definately a must so it has to be the thickness, or lack there of, of my fondant.

Thank you both again for the help.

Amy thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 9

Sugarshack's DVD is worth every penny! She shows you every step of covering a cake in fondant, both round and square. It's one of the best DVDs I've seen and much cheaper then most.

cakemommy Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:21pm
post #6 of 9

Wow! Thank you! I need all the help I can get especially covering a square.

Thank you. I'll have to order it!

thumbs_up.gif

Amy

MegWinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegWinn Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 9

Here here! Sugarshack fondant DVD is great...

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:36pm
post #8 of 9

thumbs_up.gif Sugarshack's DVD is awesome. I just got my a few weeks ago. I originally was just going to get her buttercream one, but decided that since I really wanted to learn to do fondant I would get it also. I learned SO much. The main fondant part is like an hour and 30 minutes long. She goes step by step from the beginning to the end of putting fondant on a cake. She shows how to do round, square, hexagon, petal shaped cakes. She does a segment on each of them of how to make sharp edges like you want. she used 2 fondant smoothers to achieve this look. It is worth the money. I feel like I could actually become good at doing fondant after watching.

cakemommy Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:36am
post #9 of 9

SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do have two fondant smoothers but will no doubt get any other tool needed to achieve the look I need.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the recommendation!!!!!!

Love you guys!!!!!!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%