Something Weird Happened To A Cake I Baked Last Night...

Decorating By crystalina1977 Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 3:14pm by crystalina1977

crystalina1977 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 6

When I turned it out from the pan, it had an hourglass shape to it, like it was pulled in toward the center around the middle, and the top and bottom were farther out. I've never seen that before. It's a 10" pan. The last time I used the pan, the cake was fine. This time the only thing I did differently was I used a flower nail in the center as a heating core. Could this be it? I hope you can help me figure it out. Thanks!
Crissy usaribbon.gif

5 replies
crystalina1977 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 6

can anyone help? I have another cake to bake tonight and now I'm scared to use the flower nail, although it seemed to bake so much more evenly that way.

ccr03 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 6

I never use a flower nail or a heating core and I've baked up to a 14".

If you haven't had any problems without the flower nail, continue to do it that way.

srodts Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 6

I have had that happen before. Other people I know have had that happen before and no one can tell me why. It is just a freak thing. It does not happen to me as much anymore and I don't know if it is the because of the winter time and not so humid, or if its because I only use the same brand of eggs, and only cold water in my mix. Last summer I had all kinds of problems with that, talk about a big waste of cake. I hope it is only a one time thing for you. Good luck to you.

JanH Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:51am
post #5 of 6
crystalina1977 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks Jan, for the link to the previous information on this topic. Lots of good tips. Thanks everyone for your help.
Crissy usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%