Need A Great White Cake Recipe

Decorating By aswartzw Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 6:16pm by cerobs

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 7

After I finally get moved in this week to my new condo (after weeks of fixing it up since it was a HUD), I am dying to make a cake! Plus I have to try out my new oven! icon_lol.gif Anyways, I have not found a white cake recipe that I'm fond of yet and am hoping you CCers can steer me towards a great recipe.

I generally prefer extenders (I add flour, sugar, eggs, etc.) to just adding in a pudding mix. Also a great scratch is not out of the question. I don't like WASC because it's too firm and sponge-like for me. Or maybe it was the almond??? I can't remember but I might try it again with some different flavorings.

Thanks for helping!

6 replies
cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 7

Try the WASC again- just omit the almond flavoring- that's what I use for a "white" cake! Love it!!

aswartzw Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesonoccasion

Try the WASC again- just omit the almond flavoring- that's what I use for a "white" cake! Love it!!

OK, the more I think about it, the more I think I will because I was REALLY amazed at how nicely it baked. I really want to try wedding bouquet or creme bouquet one day but haven't gotten around to ordering it yet and thought those might work really well.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 7

Are you looking for specifically a white cake or a vanilla cake?

I use Amy Sedaris's Vanilla Cupcake recipe for vanilla cake - it's a scratch recipe - Yum!

aswartzw Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerBoudoir

Are you looking for specifically a white cake or a vanilla cake?

I use Amy Sedaris's Vanilla Cupcake recipe for vanilla cake - it's a scratch recipe - Yum!

Great question! I had to think on that. I've decided I want a white-colored cake so as long as it's white I can alter the flavorings for whatever I want. Where can I find this recipe at? I'm assuming that it does bake white?

Edited to add...I found the recipe! Since it has the yolks in it, I assume it's not white? Do you think if I adjust the recipe by using all whites with the appropriate egg addition(s) that it would come out?

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 7

It's not white, because it has egg yolks and butter in it. But it is a sturdy, yummy vanilla cake that doesn't have the spongy texture that cake mixes have.

While it's a cupcake recipe, I frequently use it for cake layers. I've also substituted sour cream for the milk, and that works very well.

You can get the recipe here: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/236125

cerobs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cerobs Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 7

dh white cake mix (sifted)
4 eggs whites
1 small white chocolate pudding
1 1/3 cup water
1/2 cup oil

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%