Do You Ever Feel Like You Have Too Many Passions? (Long)

Lounge By tracycakes Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 8:38pm by Lovemypups

tracycakes Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 19

I just feel frustrated sometimes. I have too many passions and not enough time.....or maybe I'm not passionate enough. icon_cry.gif I just feel overwhelmed.

I love to bake and decorate cakes but I just don't seem to find the time to do them like I would like. Some event comes up but there are just too many other things happening for me to be able to spend the time on it that I would like.

I LOVE photography! My husband and I travel some and I love to shoot nature and landscapes. I want to learn more, take hikes, practice, but we just don't have the time. It seems like the only time I really get to shoot is when we are on vacation and that's not good.

I've been into genealogy since college and my interest comes and goes. Basically, when I'm having luck, I greatly involved but when I start hitting a lot of deadends, I back off for a while. However, it the last 5 months, I've gotten a great deal of information but I don't seem to have the time to dig through all of it and it takes forever.

I just feel frustrated that it seems like I don't have time to do what I want and I don't even have kids! My husband is very self-sufficient and supportive of all of my habits/passions. In fact, he almost insisted that I take a sculpture class with Bronwen Weber (which I as so excited about icon_lol.gif ) and he bought me my new camera last year. We've also been involved in some house renovations (my craft room) for the last several months. Now that renovation is over, we're taking a break on house projects until the big kitchen remodel next year.

Does anyone else feel this way or do I just have too many expectations? I'm very blessed that I can do all of this, that my husband supports me, etc. Maybe I'm just being whiny and don't realize how good I have it. But I see the cakes here and you guys are awesome! I see photographs others take, including someone I mentored, and his photos are better. Then the genealogists that have lines to Adam and I'm stuck in the 1880's. oh well, I'll shut up now.

18 replies
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 19

I can't offer you any advice because I'm kind of in the same boat - BUT...maybe I can help inspire you to get back into your genealogy by asking you some really stupid questions!!! lol

How in the world does someone who knows nothing about this get into it? I wouldn't even know where to start. I think it is so cool that you have traced your history to the 1880's. I don't even know who goes past by grandparents! Now, that is pathetic!

Maybe now that you're taking a break with your house projects you'll have time to focus on one of your passions. Of course, I recommend caking but that's because the only other thing I do is singing and that I can do that in car! icon_biggrin.gif

tracycakes Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 19

Thanks Tammi!

Getting started from nothing is the hardest part. icon_confused.gif The best way to start if with parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and just start asking them questions. If there are family Bibles, they can provide a lot of good information. Look at old pictures and hopefully, there are names on the back.

I then find going to the census records helpful. Of course, there is nothing after 1930 since 1930 is the latest census to be released. If you know the county and state of your grandparents or great parents and you can find them on the census, you will see their parents, siblings, etc. Many times, a parent of the household was living with them or a sibling. Be sure to check who was living nearby. A census taker would go down a street, and many times, it was family members living nearby.

You can also request vital records, like birth and death records, if you know their date of birth. You can find out to do that at, which has a wealth of information.

Another great thing to do to get started is to scrounge through cemetaries where you know family members are buried. Usually, more are buried there than you know.

I hope this helps you get started. Feel free to ask any more questions and I'll help if I can.

nancylynwallace Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 19

You are not being whiny at all. I am the same way. I love cake decorating and I love photography. I am very passionate about both and sometimes over-extend myself and don't get to enjoy either one. I have decided to make time for my passions at least once a week (even though I would like it to be more) and am enjoying it. I made time and it truly works! Always make time for what you love or want to do. Life is short and enjoy it while you can because tomorrow is not promised to you. My husband is very supportive of me too. He always tells me that if I hadn't taken that cool picture it may have never been taken. And the cakes that I make would never have been made and enjoyed. Sometimes people just sit around and become couch potatoes and don't have any passions. They are the ones that I feel sorry for! Do your thing girl!!

tracycakes Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 19

Thanks Nancy! I do try to make time but I never seem to get finished with anything. I the last 2 years, we have remodeled 2 bathrooms (taking them all the way down to studs), moved and I had to clean and paint the new house entirely before we could move in ( it was gross) and we just remodeled my craft room. Basically, put in laminate wood floors, drywalled the closet and add shelves - a quick job for most people - but not us.

I'm tired of house projects and ready for fun. We are headed on Texas for vacation where I plan to shoot a ton of "film" - I'm digital now though. We are going to stop at some family cemetaries for genealogy research on the way back and get home on Friday. Then, on Sunday, I'm taking a cake sculpture class with Bronwen Weber! Nothing like fitting it in all in one week!

nancylynwallace Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 19

I know what you mean!! I started painting all of the molding in our house. It was all natural wood and the idiot that owned the house before us, didn't care about being neat when they painted the walls and got paint on the molding. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the paint off, so I decided to paint it with white enamel paint so at least it would like half way decent. What a job!! I know that it took me 6 months to do it!! That is great that you are going to Texas. That is where my husband is from...Whitney, Texas. Have a lot of fun and take lots of pictures. The genealogy sounds cool! My aunt did that and I learned a whole lot! Just remember to "make a little time for the good times" and have a ball! icon_wink.gif

tchrmom Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:14am
post #7 of 19

It sounds like you are similar to me in some ways. I have often thought of myself as a "jack-of-many-trades-and -master-of-none". I like to scrapbook and make cards, decorate cakes/bake, read, play piano, do photgraphy, do word and logic puzzles, write, etc. I am good enough to enjoy them all, and good enough to help others some, but not really an expert in any. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, and my interest in all of them comes and goes a great deal- in cycles of a few weeks, or even a few years. I am glad that you are getting to do a lot of yours in one week.

indydebi Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:29am
post #8 of 19

Here's a thread with some good discussion on tracing family trees:

I think we creative, entrepreneur types are always thinking and always ready for the next project!

I'm working on a wedding workshop I want to put on and it's up to 127 powerpoint pages ... to start!!! I have books and booklets that I'm in the middle of writing that can't seem to get past the 'hard draft' stage. I have seven 7-shelf bookcases at home that need cleaned out (doubled rowed, double stacked with books) because I need just ONE of them at the shop. I told a friend just the other day ".... I have too much stuff bouncing around in my head and I can't find time to organize it outta there!"

tracycakes Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 2:57pm
post #9 of 19

Thanks! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one. tchrmom, I've called myself the same thing many times "jack of all trades and master of none". I guess this means that I should never get bored. icon_lol.gif

bellatrixothersis Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:07am
post #10 of 19

Amazing how this caught my eye. I'm in the same boat (it's getting crowded, yea!) Jack of all trades and master of none. I am a home do it yourselfer, artist, craftsperson, baker, decorator, painter, gardener and yes I even did photography! I love baking but can't legally bake from home and can't eat all that cake. I started gumpaste flowers and LOVE doing it, but having a hard time - trying to fit it in. Not a craft you can do for a minute or two. I have a table full of supplies and gumpaste in the fridge. Tracycakes -- must be those April birthdays (aries) Thanks all for making me feel better!

divinedivacakes Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:17am
post #11 of 19

I thought it was just me. I started sewing when I was 11. THen hated it, because my dad made me make everything I wore except my underwear!!! Then had 3 time to sew. Divorced at 30. Went to college and got my degree as a paralegal. Then got my certification in Mediation from the Supreme Court of Virginia. ( Never used that certification) Remarried an angel. Got a new sewing machine and began sewing again. Then got into gardening. Built a new house, planted for the first 5 years ( nothing was safe frome me...i carried a shovel with me everywhere I went) it's 10 1/2 years old and looks like a jungle. STill have a small greenhouse, can't give it up completely. I just LOVE FLOWERS! My sewing/craft room is the bonus room over the two car garage. I CAN'T GET ANYTHING ELSE IN IT!! IT'S BURSTING AT THE SEAMS!! But for some reason last year, I thought I needed a new hobby. So I took the wilton cake decorating classes. I AM HOOKED!! Just trying to find room for all the new stuff. Trying to downsize now. Hey when you are 48, you just don't need stuff anymore. Who wants to spend all their time cleaning and dusting!! My sis and I have a deal, when we exchange presents, it has to be something you can eat up, use up, SPARKLES (JEWELS : - ) ), or plane tickets!! Oops, forgot to mention, my husband wanted a boat. So we got that 2 years ago and took up fishing. ( By the way, I hate camping...but I hate dragging stuff back and for to the river. ) So then we "acquired" a camper that had water damage and redid the entire inside. Am I spreadin myself thin yet? Oh yah, 3 years ago, decided I needed a new profession, so went to school and became an esthetician ( facials, body treatments, waxing, microdermabrasions, peels, etc.) Turned my living room into a spa and started a business. I dont' know why I need all this stuff to do, but now I am so overwhelmed with everything. Especially since my husband was in a head on collision 7 1/2 months ago and he is still home recovering. He is just now able to put some weight on his left leg. His left leg was broken in two places and his left ankle was completely demolished. They almost amputated his left lower leg, but they didn't. Cut his right knee to the joint and had seven broken ribs and lots of cuts and bruises. So I have been caring for him and everything else in the house for the last 7 1/2 months by myself. It's exhausting. Thank goodness my kids are grown so I dont have little ones to care for. Still overwhelming though. STill consider myself lucky, because I still have him.

bellatrixothersis Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 10:52am
post #12 of 19

I can also add sewing to my list. Learned how to sew from my mother and the singer company. They used to have lessons, don't know if they are even still around. I keep my sewing for making drapes and things for the house. Haven't touch that in awhile. I think I have to learn to go with the flow and not get worried about the money I spend on this stuff. Sometimes I wish I could just land somewhere.

divinedivacakes Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 12:07am
post #13 of 19

Wow, that's where I learned to sew.....the Singer Store. Took a six week course when I was 11. Then my dad expected me to sew ALL MY CLOTHES!!! Glad those days are gone forever!!! I dont think they have the singer stores anymore....haven't seen one in decades. STill have the machines around, but I am a kenmore girl and hoping for a new Viking Husqvarna embroidery machine, AS SOON AS I CAN FIND SOME TIME TO MAKE ROOM FOR IT IN MY SEWING ROOM. UGGGGHHH!! icon_cry.gif

bellatrixothersis Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 10:54am
post #14 of 19

My machine is a Kenmore. When I was in my early teens the local Sears store had a sewing contest/fashion show. I did a two piece with bell bottoms icon_smile.gif - the outfit would be in style today! But I remember the judge told me I lost alot of points because I didn't use seam binding for the bottoms/hemming. I ran out of time and didn't have any. Oh well! My mother made everything, now it's cheaper just to buy the clothes. (I think)

divinedivacakes Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 10:39pm
post #15 of 19

Yeah, another Kenmore fan. I still have the one I bought when I was a senior in high school....back in 1977, and it still works. But I use my 100 stitch now. I love a kenmore!!

Who uses seam binding and hemtape for hemming??? HA! I think they did teach us to do that back then, but now......the quickest way to get it done!! Thanks to the Kenmore makes my life much easier!!

Lovemypups Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:00pm
post #16 of 19

Too many passions for sure. Besides my 200 orchids and my two Yorkies who are in full coat and my Shih Tzu who is in full coat I also love bead weaving and heirloom sewing. And then there is the cake stuff. And the family. Can't forget the family. At least I never get bored. Now I need to go read this whole thread.

divinedivacakes Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:40am
post #17 of 19

Oh my....200 orchids and two dogs? Then the cake stuff!! OH MY!

I learned early in the fondant class to only wear white non fuzzy stuff when you are working with fondant. I happend to wear a BLACK VELOUR JOGGING SUIT TO CLASS THAT DAY!!! Now, I stuggle with keeping Moky's fur out of the fondant. I vacuum and vacuum and vacuum and that darn fur turns up everywhere!!!! He is Long haired dachshund and border collie and he loves sugar! Got any pictures of the orchids?? And the pups??? I love flowers and puppies! thumbs_up.gif

bellatrixothersis Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:03pm
post #18 of 19

Another long haired dachshund owner! He hurt his back this past christmas and I put him on strict crate rest. The surgeon told me back then that he had a 30% chance of walking again. After some chinese herbs, vitamins and strict rest, I am happy to announce he is walking and back to his old self! He's my little boyicon_smile.gif (they wanted to operate for $5,000.00)

Lovemypups Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 8:38pm
post #19 of 19

I'm so glad he's better. They are definitely our furbabies. Laughing about the fur. I was pulling Yorkie hair out of my baking until I decided to keep an apron in the kitchen -- just for those times. Yeah, I have pictures. I'll try to post one of my Shih Tzu, Penny. We'll see how that works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%