Farm Animal Birthday Cake...help

Decorating By MamaBof6 Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 12:08am by bcake1960

MamaBof6 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 10

I am going to try to make this cake that I found online for my son's 3rd birthday.
My questions are:

How long in advance can I bake the cake? What kind of cake should I bake? My son's name is Cameron.
Can I use MMF for this cake?
How far in advance can and should I make the animals? The birthday party is on the 27th.

Any and all help would be very much appreciated1 Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

9 replies
bcake1960 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 10

What a cute cake!

Quote:
Quote:

How long in advance can I bake the cake?

I usually bake 1 week ahead wrap in plastic wrap very well and freeze take out 4 or 5 hours before you are ready to frost.

Quote:
Quote:

What kind of cake should I bake?

if using fondant of any kind I would bake a heaver cake.. I use Betty Crockers cake mix chocolate fudge mayo cake is great!!

Quote:
Quote:

Can I use MMF for this cake?

Yes MMF is fine and for your animal figures as well. I use it all the time icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:

How far in advance can and should I make the animals? The birthday party is on the 27th.

I would start now and get that part out of the way. Store in cool dry place.

Good luck with your cake.. It will be great!!

bcake1960 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 10

I'm sorry,,, I just notice you are new to Cake Central... WELCOME... this is a great place for networking with other cake decorators...Questions about techniques, and How to's... Have you been decorating long? You came to the right place... be careful its addicting.. Again, Welcome!!

MamaBof6 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you so much!! icon_biggrin.gif

MamaBof6 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 10

BTW- What is mayo cake?

bcake1960 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 10

Here is the recipe, like I said I use Betty Crocker Chocolate fudge cake mix (iTS THE BEST)
1 - Box chocolate cake mix
3 eggs
1 cup water or milk
1/2 cup mayonnaise*
PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.** Combine ingredients with a hand mixer on low. Continue beating on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely before frosting.

** For 9 x 13 pan - bake for 35 - 40 minutes. Cool completely in pan.
** For Tube pan - bake for 40 - 45 minutes. Cool in pan for 20 minutes. Remove from pan to cool completely.

MamaBof6 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you for all of your help!

I have been baking for awhile and I even made a 4 tiered cake for my sister once, but I have never used fondant or done any "professional" type cakes. It's just a passion that I am getting a chance to explore again. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks again and I am definitely going to try your recipe! icon_biggrin.gif

MamaBof6 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 10

do you have any filling suggestions or good BC recipes?

Thanks again!

butterflywings Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 10

do a search for indydebi's buttercream... it's THE best butter cream ever! she calls for all shortening, but i usually use 1/2 shortening 1/2 butter (and once made with all butter) only b/c i'm not fond of the all crisco taste... i'm telling you, her recipe is to DIE for!!! YYUUUMMMM!!!

bcake1960 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:08am
post #10 of 10

Also Search for Sugarshacks Buttercream recipe It is very good as well.
I am going to have to give indydebi's Buttercream frosting a try as well, thanks butterflywings for the suggestion.. off to search for it..icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%