Storing Fondant Flowers

Decorating By EagerBaker Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 10:19pm by Weedmonzo

EagerBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EagerBaker Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 11

I have a wedding cake that I am making in August. It will be extra tall layers with white fondant and clover green flowers. The thing is I am making my cakes at my house and I will need to make about 750 flowers for this cake. How in the world do I store these without them getting flattened? Here is a link to the cake that it is modeled after:
http://www.brides.com/weddingstyle/cakes/gallery/editorspick/detail/167452?pf=shape%3around&af=color%3apink&offset=7&page=1

I would appreciate any advice given. I will have to start on these about two weeks before the wedding to get them made and dried.

Thanks,
EagerBaker

10 replies
beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 11

those flowers are so small they'll dry very quickly (if you use gumpaste not fondant) and hold their shape perfectly once they're dry. i would take my ball tool, push in the center of the flower to make it cup, then set it in a former to dry. you could use a plastic former, small egg carton foam would prolly work, or even foil thats been shaped right. by the time you get about 30-50 done, the first ones will be dry enough that you can move them out of the former and onto some regular flat foam to finish drying. thats how i would do it. once they're completely dry, just store them in a box or something to keep dust off.

EagerBaker Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks for your advice becca!

I usually use MMF because gumpaste costs so much more and I don't want to increase my expenses on making this cake. It will be three tiers and I'm charging $250. She (the bride) is my best friend's little sister and I've known her since she was born. I gave her a bit of a cut on the price but not by much. It helps that when I emailed her the link to that pic she saw that the original bakery charged $18/ serving. LOL Should I store them in sheet cake boxes? Do you think it would be safe to layer them in the box with sheets of wax paper between the layers? I just don't want to do all this work just to find the day I decorate that I stored them wrong and they are messed up. This cake has turned out to be much more extensive than when she first approached me about making her cake. It will be fun and stressful. I will be nervous and anxious for weeks. In the end I will be glad I did and have a great pic to add to my book. This is my usual pattern for big projects. LOL

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 11

Using fondant is fine. If I were you, if you have extra time between now and then go ahead and make them. As long as they are COMPLETELY dry before you store them, they will store fine before the wedding. For flower formers you can use a paper towel tube cut in half or PVC pipe cut in half or buy them from Michaels. I like to crinkle up foil or food save tissue paper and layer all my flowers on it and it gives them all a different more lively looking shape. If you want them to dry fast you can use a food dehydrator or sit them near your open oven door to dry them out faster. I just store my flowers in clear plastic bins with food safe tissue paper. I hope this helps. I think that cake will be the talk of the wedding. Congratulations.

beccakelly Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 11

i think half sheet boxes would be fine. i would layer them with foam instead of wax paper though, it will cushion them better. how many servings is the cake for? are you using fondant or BC to ice the tiers?

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 11

Quick note to the wise....buy some silca gel packets off of ebay to absorb any moisture you may pick up during the humid months before the wedding. It will help your flowers keep their shape. icon_biggrin.gif

Also, a note side note: You stated you are making the flowers clover green? I don't recall having ever seen a clover green flower. How unique, can't wait to see the cake. Anyway I digress.......to protect your color from fading do not store them in a clear storage bin/box but rather a light-free box and then keep out of direct sunlight and any room that might carry higher then normal moisture, i.e. damp basements.
HTH icon_wink.gif

EagerBaker Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 11

I will be covering the cakes in white MMF. It will be 6", 9", and 12" extra tall layers. The top two will be lemon and the bottom white cake with vanilla buttercream. It is to serve at max 115. Thank you so much, all of you!! I appreciate all of the advice and tips. I've made various things for cakes before, including about 20 large calla lillies, but I've never had to make quite so many flowers for one cake. I was starting to panic about the shear number of flowers and the daunting task of storing them. Would you really start making them now?? Thanks again! I love the color the bride has chosen. This is one of the possible bridesmaid dresses in clover.
LL

beccakelly Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:10pm
post #8 of 11

thats a beautiful color of green! you are being more than generous on this cake, really! i would charge between $450-500. those are a ton of flowers! i would def start on them now. or whenever you think you'll have time between now and then. they'll keep just fine! i've got flowers i made back in november adn they're still perfect.

EagerBaker Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:02am
post #9 of 11

becca,

I just looked at your website and not only is it beautiful, but your cakes are fabulous. I saw that you are in Cincinnati and I wanted to mention that I live just south of Lexington, KY (not too far, LOL). You do great work, and thanks for all of your help. I'm still a beginner so I keep my prices at that level until I can get more business going. I'm trying to decide if this is something worth trying to do on a bigger scale or not. Thanks again and I do plan on starting soon. I don't want to be stressing out about flowers when the date starts approaching.

EagerBaker Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 12:06am
post #10 of 11

Its done!!!! Its finally done and delivered. I found through experimentation that using Wilton colors ... half kelly green and half juniper to get the clover color.

Here is the pic of the cake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1253152&done=1

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
EagerBaker

Weedmonzo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Weedmonzo Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 11

I am making my flowers half fondant and half gum paste, but I find after about a week they are hard and snap pretty quickly. Any storage ideas?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%