Crystal Border?

Decorating By AmyShu Updated 21 Apr 2008 , 8:20am by LeanneW

AmyShu Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 7

I have a wedding cake in a few months and the bride is using an initial cake topper made of crystals/rhinestones. She wondered if I could do a crystal border between each tier to tie in with the crystals on her topper. Is this possible? This is only my 2nd wedding cake, so I need some help! Thanks!!

6 replies
cake-angel Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 7

You could but it would be difficult to get edible one that look the same as her cake jewelry. Here is a link to some sugar jewels (made from isomalt) Just click on premade products and scroll down till you see them.

These are the best I have seen for sugar jewels and the size might be allright for a boarder.

another option would be fondant pearls with disco dust or hologram dust so they have lots of sparkle.

I suppose you could also just put rhinestones on the cake but you would want to be careful of that as you wouldn't want anyone to accidently eat one or choke. Maybe the "jewels" beads could be strung together before being placed on the cake or glued to a ribbon so they would all be placed on and removed in one quick move for serving and lesson the danger that someone would eat one.

I hope this helps you a little. I am sorry I don't have more ideas.

ALVARGA Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:23am
post #3 of 7

Check out They have cake jewels. I believe it is sugar candy that looks just like jewels. They are really neat, I would like to use them but haven't figured out how yet. They might work for what you want to do but they aren't cheap. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

gscout73 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 12:41am
post #4 of 7

You could also use the Wilton crystal-look pillars that have a twist design. They are my favorite and area very elegant. thumbs_up.gif

crazy4sugar Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 1:06am
post #5 of 7

I was thinking that you could glue the crystals to the pillars that separate the tiers. I love Cake Angel's idea of gluing them to a ribbon, wrapping it around the tiers, and then taking them off in one move.

KoryAK Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 7:48am
post #6 of 7

Why not get strands of rhinestones from the fabric store? Not edible, but nice and sparkly and they won't be all separate pieces so no one will be temped to taste them.

LeanneW Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 8:20am
post #7 of 7

No sure what type of construction you will have but if you do stacked you could create a ring of sparkling sugar at the base of each tier

this cake has what I am describing at the ver bottom of the cake

here is the brand of sparkling sugar I have used before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%