Filling In A Cake

Decorating By tabathacorn Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 5:11am by JanH

tabathacorn Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:07pm
post #1 of 5

Has anyone ever cut a cake in half and put filling in the middle? I made a lemon cake and I would like to cut it in half and put some pastry filling in it. I am concerned that it will make the inside of the cake soggie... I don't know if that is how you spell it. Can anyone tell me how to do the filling without making the cake soggie? Thanks!

4 replies
vdrsolo Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:23pm
post #2 of 5

Do you mean torting?? (Cutting a cake in half lengthwise). Sure, do it to every one of my layer cakes. The pastry filling that you purchase from your cake decorating supplier will not seep through and make the cake soggy. Make sure you put a stiff buttercream dam around the edge so the filling won't leak out.

tabathacorn Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 5

Good information. That is exactly what I was talking about! Thank you! Any other suggestions from others would be great. So I don't have to ice the cake on both layers BEFORE putting the filling in right? It will NOT make the cake soggie huh? Good info. Thanks so much! I can't wait to eat this cake! It is for a co-worker, so unlike most of my cakes, this one I get to eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vdrsolo Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 5

You only need to "sandwich" the filling with buttercream if the filling will seep, but trust me, it's just much easier to buy the sleeved filling.

Don't use jams or preserves that you can get at the grocery store, they eventually do seep and the cake starts breaking down and getting soggy.

Raspberry filling is excellent with a lemon cake buy the way. Lemon filling is available as well, but it may be too "lemony". You can also buy the cream cheese filling and mix that with buttercream to make a safe cream cheese icing that does not need to be refrigerated.

JanH Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 5:11am
post #5 of 5

Wilton help links for making & decorating (tiered) cakes:
(Torting is one of the help links.)

How to stabilize jams/preserves to use as cake filling:
(Scroll down the page.)

Another way to use jams/preserves... is to put down a thin layer of b/c and then apply the jam. The bi-colored filling makes a lovely presentation when the slices are plated.

Sleeved pastry filling amounts required by cake size:

Sleeved pastry fillings available online:

Quote by @%username% on %date%