First Wedding - How Much For This?

Decorating By Zahrah Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 12:33pm by indydebi

Zahrah Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:06pm
post #1 of 2

So the daughter of hubby's coworker wants wedding and grooms cake. Wedding cake to be 5 tiers - 14, 12, 10, 8, 6 stacked. Three different flavors in all. Fondant covered and a design that will include white choc seashells around bottom of each layer. Grooms cake will be 2 dimentional dolphin fish about 2.5 feet in length, and a fourth flavor. All delivered about an hour and a half away. My skills are alright, not fantastic so I'm nervous as this will be my first wedding. All things considered, how much do I charge??

1 reply
indydebi Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:33pm
post #2 of 2

The wilton wedding cake chart shows the 14/12/10/8/6 serves 208, so times my rate of $3/serving = $624 base price. Plus the add'l fee for fondant (some as $0.50 per serving, some add $1). Plus the extra cost for the white chocolate shells. (I just did my first choc shells cake and I might go with $20 per tier .... that's a LOT of chocolate AND if you paint them with luster dust, you have the cost of the dust and it really takes some time to do these).

1.5 hours away sounds like about 90 miles ... 180 round trip, so I'd have at least a $150-$200 delivery fee (approx $1/mile, round trip .... you're not only covering your gas and vehicle wear-n-tear, but also 3 hours of your time ... when I get flack over delivery fees ----which is VERY rare! ----- I tell brides, "My time is billable at $100 an hour, so $200 to deliver a cake that will tie me up for over 3 hours is a bargain.")

I dont' do carved cakes so I will let other CC'ers with that expertise help with pricing on that one.

But it seems to me, you're looking at a $1000 range or so for all of this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%