Kitchen Aid Versus Other Mixers...

Business By Starkie Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 11:32pm by Laura102777

Starkie Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 10:53am
post #1 of 7

I have an old KitchenAid K5-A hand-me-down. I don't even know how old it is, but I received it about 7-8 years ago. At this time, the medium speed (6) is as fast as the high speec (10) when I am making buttercream! I am afraid that my mixer won't last much longer, so I am on the lookout for a new one (or good used one).

There is no way I can afford a new KA, which is what I would prefer. Are there other, less expensive models out there that work as well as what I have now? What should I be on the lookout for? Any comments would be helpful. Thanks!

<S>

6 replies
mcalhoun Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:25am
post #2 of 7

I have heard Cooks from JC Penney are a cheaper alternative to KA. I have never used one. Before you go w/ a cheaper one I would try my best to tuck away as much as possible before your old one dies. Maybe it will last long enough to get another Kitchen Aide or a Viking. Try and be patient before buying and shop your best deals. Don't forget Linens and Things and Bed Bath & Beyond both have 20% coupons out all the time. Also check Amazon.com and Kitchen Aides refurbished store. Keep you fingers crossed and good luck!
Melissa

jonicca Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 7

I'm not sure what your budget is KitchenAid sells their refurbished models and some new ones on their Ebay store. I've seen them as low as $165. The refurbished models come with a 6 month warranty. HTH!

Laura102777 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 7

I have a KA Pro600 (6 qt) that I bought refurbished from KA, and a KA Artisan (5 qt) that I bought new during the Lowe's $150 sale/misprint(?) last year. I love them both. They're my babies and I hope I never have to be without either of them!

I agree that refurbished is a great option, and I also agree that Amazon sometimes runs some really great sales on them, new and refurbished. Just check Amazon frequently, and you might luck into a really good deal.

Starkie Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks, all! So I guess there is no one out there that would even consider another brand? What about this Artisian brand I see on the forums every now and then? Is it as good as Kitchen Aid?

mcalhoun Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 7

The Artisan is a Kitchen Aid it is the one I have. That is model name.

Laura102777 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 7

I've also seen several threads with comments from people who own the Cooks mixer from JC Penney. I've only heard people say good things about it, and it's ALOT less expensive than a KitchenAid. You might do a search for threads with info about it and send private messages to the people who said they owned one to see if they still like it as well as they did when they posted. Here's a link to the mixer: http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?ItemID=1010d86&ItemTyp=C&GrpTyp=PRD&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy=0&SearchString=mixer&RefPage=SearchDepartment.aspx&CmCatId=SearchResults&Search1Prod=True

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%