Attaching Sticks To Cookies For Bouquet

Baking By toleshed Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 4:21pm by lutie

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 10:50am
post #1 of 12

I normally try to insert the stick before baking but it seems like it never works good. So I have tried to attach after baking with corn syrup. That doesn't seem to want to dry. I know they won't hold up in a bouquet.
anyone have any suggestions?

11 replies
robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:05am
post #2 of 12

You didn't mention why it wasn't working. What happens when you put the stick in before baking? My first thought is that maybe your cookies are too thin and you need to roll them thicker?

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:20am
post #3 of 12

Hey, toleshed, how you doing today? I attach mine with royal icing. There are a couple of pros and cons to doing it this way. The pros are you don't have to bake the stick or worry with handling the cookies right out of the oven to put a stick in. You don't have to work around the stick when you are decorating the cookie and you can choose the best looking cookies for your bouquet. I have never had a cookie fall off the stick doing it this way.

The cons are it doesn't look quite as nice on the back and you have to wait for the icing to dry before handling the cookies to make the bouquet.

I feel like the pros outweigh the cons on this and so that is why I use this technique. It is all a matter of personal preference.

I use a tip 21, lay a line of royal down on the cookie, starting above half way on the cookie, this gives the cookie good support. Lay the stick in the royal, flip the cookie over and place it face up on a flat firm surface. Then LEAVE IT ALONE (this is the hardest part) to dry. When dry arrange in your bouquet. I usually let mine dry about 8 hours.

Hope this helps.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:23am
post #4 of 12

i prefer to put the sticks into the cookie once they come out of the oven.

I pull them off the cookie sheet right onto a cooling rack and within a couple of minutes I have all of the sticks pushed into the cookie. I don't worry about corn syrup b/c as the cookie cools it shrinks around the stick, works wonders.

Oh and I use bamboo skewers as my sticks and love them.

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:27am
post #5 of 12

I bake my cookies and then attach the sticks with candy melts and it works every time!!!!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:49am
post #6 of 12

I lay the sticks on the cookie sheet, top with the cookie, gently press down on the dough around the stick, then bake. I know it takes longer to bake your cookies because of fewer cookies fitting on the sheet, but this method has worked well for me and I like to stick with what works!

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:02pm
post #7 of 12

I also attatch mine with candy melts.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:32pm
post #8 of 12

hmm thanks all
sounds like I need to experiment
I'm fine today linedancer! icon_smile.gif Thanks for asking

paintinggrams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paintinggrams Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:42pm
post #9 of 12

I have tried both before and just recently after they are baked and think I prefer doing them afterwards. I was surprised how easy it was and how sturdy they were after they cooled. Just make sure your cookie is thick enough and that they are all facing so you can insert the sticks easily right after they come out of the oven. Lynda

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:58pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

i prefer to put the sticks into the cookie once they come out of the oven.

I pull them off the cookie sheet right onto a cooling rack and within a couple of minutes I have all of the sticks pushed into the cookie. I don't worry about corn syrup b/c as the cookie cools it shrinks around the stick, works wonders.

Oh and I use bamboo skewers as my sticks and love them.

This is how I do it as well.
I used to bake the stick in the cookie but the stick always left a indented area on the cookie, so now I stick it in right when I take them out of the oven.
I have'nt had a problem with them falling off or anything.
Good Luck!

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:02pm
post #11 of 12

I used almond bark (so similar to the candy melts) but I did have some fall off.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:21pm
post #12 of 12

I just got finished making over 500 of these and tried all of the suggestions, but the one that worked for me and my volunteers was this:

Roll out 2 cookies thinly; place one down on parchment lined cookie sheet and firmly (not mashing it) place the stick on top of it. Then, slowly lower the 2nd cookie on top of the first one and carefully make sure the edges match.

Bake as usual; let cool on sheet for 10 minutes; remove and cool on large cookie rack. Freeze them.

These are so easy to decorate (We made farm animals) when they are on a stick and frozen. Take what you need out of the freezer; frost them; and return to freezer.

I find that they are easier to transport if I put them in a plastic pitcher (which is shorter than the sticks) with a flower "frog" in the bottom. Take the sticks and put them into the frog's holes. If you do not have a pitcher, then use canning jars. Same principle!

The only ones that came "loose" were the ones the helpers ate icon_biggrin.gif
Not one of the 500 plus came away from the stick, except for the "eaten ones" in the kitchen. Every one stayed on the stick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%