Covering Square Cake Dummies?

Decorating By sasporella Updated 21 Apr 2008 , 9:50am by bashini

sasporella Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 8:25am
post #1 of 10

I have just covered a square cake dummy in fondant. I had to redo it about 20 times because the fondant kept spliting. Anyway 2.5 hours later (to cover a 4" square) i was still not impressed with the result. I just wondered is it harder to cover a square dummy than it is to cover a square cake. I usually have trouble with my fondant on square cakes also but nothing even close to this. Does anyone else have the same problem or is it just me?

9 replies
peg818 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 9:11am
post #2 of 10

If you trim the sharp edges with scissors you won't have so much trouble covering the dummies.

dennishaskins Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 10

what exactly do you use dummies for? weddings? then have sheet cakes for serving? what is the benefit to this?

sasporella Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 10

I use dummies to practice my icing skills and techniques.This way i can practice as often as i like without having to bake a cake everytime.

bashini Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 10

I always use lot of shortening when I knead and role it out. I had that problem before, but not anymore.

wgoat5 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 10

It's not harder to do the dummies... just the small cakes/dummies like the 4 and 6 inch ones are a little more tricky to cover... make sure you aren't rolling your fondant out too thick

sasporella Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 10

It is a small one i am doing at the moment. I managed to do the 4" eventually and i am now on with a 6" one. I think the first few times i was rolling it out too thinly so i tried doing it thicker ( am now wondering if it was too thick). I will try adding more trex and see if it helps any?

bashini Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 10

Hey sasporella, it is you who has started this thread. Now only I saw your name!

I wanted to ask you whether you use white flora or anyother brand shortening? I normaly use this, but I saw you have mentioned "trex" ?

sasporella Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 10:53am
post #9 of 10

Hi bashini, at the moment i use trex, i am using up what i have left as just before the easter holidays my college tutor told me that trex are changing their ingredients and will be adding the hydrogenated? fat and this effects the drying process and adding it to icing causes the icing not to dry. She recommended the white flora as a replacement, so i will be changing to that shortly. Is white flora a lot better than trex? If so i might change sooner rather than later.

bashini Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 9:50am
post #10 of 10

Hi sasporella, I haven't tried trex at all. So I really don't know anything about it. I have been using white flora all the time. And for the first time used that to make some butter cream and the taste was fine. I'll be using that a lot more to make my B/C.

Quote by @%username% on %date%