Decorating By Briniga Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 11:44am by leily

Briniga Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:22am
post #1 of 8

[img] What kind of metal do I use to put on top of a cake, like this one? Or what do I use & where do I get it?[/img]

7 replies
Briarview Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:41am
post #2 of 8

I use a wire from the jewellery department at Spotlight but not sure if you have those stores there. You can get different gauges and sure you have stores that sell it.

LadyMike Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:05am
post #3 of 8

I think you can use any wire as long as you don't put it directly into the cake. Some use straws, but I use coffee stirrers that I got at a restaurant supply store (GFS). Measure the length of the wire and make sure it's not longer than the straw/stirrer. Put the straw/stirrer into the cake, then put the wire in the straw/stirrer. No wire touching cake! icon_wink.gif HTH

LadyMike icon_smile.gif

amoos Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:07am
post #4 of 8

i get mine at Praxis.....dutch version of Home Depot/Lowe's, etc. Not sure if it's food safe or not, so just in case I wrap the end in a bit of masking tape then a piece of pastic wrap....JUST in case.

Briniga Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 8

Ok, thank you all for your help!!

leily Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:38pm
post #6 of 8

I am a firm believer on Stainless Steel only! Other metals can not be gaurenteed food safe, but all grades of stainless steel are. I just boil them in hot water or wash really well before using it in/on a cake.

Briniga Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:13am
post #7 of 8

where can u get that?

leily Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 11:44am
post #8 of 8
Originally Posted by Briniga

where can u get that?

I have seen Stainless wire in craft sections and purchased that before. However i actually get what is called TIG wire from a welding store that is stainless steel. You can purchase it from most welding supply stores in increments of 1lb to 10lbs. I like the 1/16 or smaller depending on what I am doing.


Quote by @%username% on %date%