Need Help With Fairy Wings

Decorating By anku Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 4:33am by auntginn

anku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anku Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:37am
post #1 of 19

I making fairy using wilton wonder mold. I need help with making wings.
What are the different ways I can make wings to attach to this cake??

Thanks in advance.

18 replies
Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:51am
post #2 of 19

You could pipe them onto parchment paper using a template and royal icing, or you could make them out of gumpaste.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:57am
post #3 of 19

I made small wings for my bee cake (in my pics) out of gumpaste and brushed with lustre dust. You can't see them specifically too well in my cake - but I just made them all one piece, dried them for a few days, and glued them on with buttercream (I made them quite thin so they wouldn't be heavy. Hope this helps.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 3:30am
post #4 of 19

. . . ooohhhh . . . they could be fabulous made with spun sugar too . . . (here is a bee with spun sugar wings to give you an idea of what you could do . . . http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1209772.html)

or I might to make fairy wings using the method Tuggy used for dragonfly wings . . . http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_7202.html . . . when I PM'd her this was her explanation . . .

The wings are made from gelatine. I just a wire, looped in the shape of the wings. Lay them flat on waxed-paper. Prepare the gelatine as mentioned on the packs and heat it, until it is runny. With a teaspoon fill the gelatine in the loop and let dry, for 24 hours. If you wish you can add , so the wings will shimmer.

I'll look forward to see your finished cake posted here . . . good luck and have fun . . . thumbs_up.gif

KaraCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaraCakes Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:30am
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflydreams

. . . ooohhhh . . . they could be fabulous made with spun sugar too . . . (here is a bee with spun sugar wings to give you an idea of what you could do . . . http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1209772.html)

Wow! That was fun to see my bee cake as a refrence! (I'm new here.) I would love to tell you how easy it was to make those wings. As a matter of fact, I tried several other wings made several other ways, but they were all WAY too heavy for the cake to hold up, even with support. So I finally figured it out, and it was incredibly easy, and looked great!

I covered a cookie sheet with foil, and using a paper template cut to the shape and size I wanted (remember to flip it over for the second one so it fits the other side properly) I traced the template onto the foil with a pencil. I placed three short skewers on the foil, where it would be inserted into the cake. I made a simple recipe of hard candy (I can dig up the recipe if you need it) and I QUICKLY drizzled the hot sugar onto the foil with a fork, keeping inside the pattern as much as I could. It was hard to do that, since I had to work fast, but it didn't turn out to be that big of a deal because once it is cooled you can trim off anything outside the line with a snip of the scissors. It sounds scary, but it clips right off. Just make sure that you put a good amount of the sugar over the ends of the skewers so they have something to hang on to.

They truly were super simple, and VERY impressive! They sparkled and glistened, and were the highlight of the cake. thumbs_up.gif

Let me know if I left anything out, or if I can help you with it at all, if you decide to go with these wings. Good luck, and I can't wait to see pics!

dragonflydreams Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:06am
post #6 of 19

. . . thanx Karacakes . . . for sharing your learnings and tips . . . that's what this community is all about thumbs_up.gif . . . I'm sooo happy to hear your method as I know some where some how I will want to try this beautiful effect . . . thanx again and welcome to this site . . . careful though it's VERY addictive icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

(p.s. I would be interested in knowing what recipe you used . . . obviously it worked very well for you)

anku Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:29am
post #7 of 19

Thank you so much for all the responses! Yes, could you please share the recipe Karacakes???

Thanks in advance!

KaraCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaraCakes Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 19

Happy to share! The recipe I used is a very basic hard candy recipe. The measurements are funky because it is scaled down, since you don't need a ton of it for wings.

Line a cookie sheet with foil. Put 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon corn syrup, 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon water, and 3/4 teaspoon flavoring (optional) in a heavy sauce pan.Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan, not touching the bottom. Heat on medium-high heat to 300-310 degrees. Immediately remove from heat and work quickly to drizzle onto foil in desired pattern with a fork. Once completely cooled, carefully peel foil from back of wings, using scissors to gently clip any strings you don't want.

Hope this helps! Have fun with it.

dragonflydreams Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 19

. . . awesome . . . thanx again thumbs_up.gif

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:23pm
post #10 of 19

Here is another suggestion for the wings. Take an ivy leaf cutter (came with my sugarpaste kit) and cut out one "leaf", split it down the middle so you will have 2 wings and then use a round icing tip to make holes in the wings. You can use different size holes or all the same. It looks great! Sorry I don't have a picture. I will have to take one next time I make a fairy. HTH

anku Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:36pm
post #11 of 19

Now, about wings made from Gelatin....can I color it??? And if yes, at what stage?? Should I put the pearl dust also at the same time to get the shiny shimmer effect?

Thanks so much.

gucci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gucci Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:58am
post #12 of 19

I'm not sure exactly how detailed you want your wings to be, but I last made fairy wings using color flow on parchment paper. They were pretty basic, but easy and fun to do, and they looked cute, too. They're in my pics if you'd like to check them out.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 9:27pm
post #13 of 19

Rice paper is also a great way to make wings. It's competely edible, opaque and easy to cut and pipe onto. I use it for all types of wings.

anku Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 10:25pm
post #14 of 19

Can you please explain how do you make wings out of rice paper? And from where can I find it?

lorijom Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 10:40pm
post #15 of 19

anku, I think they call it wafer paper now...I've always called it rice paper but that's just one more thing that gives away my age icon_sad.gif

Just do a search at your favorite online decorating supply store or a google search and you'll find it.

You'll love it!! It's so easy to use, just cut it to shape and decorate it - use RI or BC. For bee wings I don't decorate it at all just cut to shape and stick into the bee body. It's awesome icon_smile.gif

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 8:57pm
post #16 of 19

I have a crazy question!! I have printed the butterflies a while back on the wafer paper. I can't remember if the smooth side or the rough side is what I want my print on???? Can someone refresh my memory? TIA

Linda

lorijom Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:49am
post #17 of 19

Linda, wish I could help...the wafer paper I'm talking about isn't the kind that can go thru a printer. It's too flexible.

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:55am
post #18 of 19

Thanks Lori! I know there was a discussion about it a while back but can't remember "who"!! Maybe someone will catch it this time!

Linda

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:33am
post #19 of 19

Actually wafer paper and rice paper are 2 different things. However, rice paper is not as available as it once was. Wafer paper is easier to find and you can only print on one side because it comes with a paper backing and once your ready to use you peel and place it on the cake, cookie, etc.

Rice paper, I believe you print on the rough side and I always slip a regular sheet of paper behind it when running it through the printer and it then works well.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%