Okay, Gumpaste Experts!!!

Decorating By cakemommy Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 2:51pm by cakemommy

cakemommy Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:25am
post #1 of 10

I need your help. I have to make a traditional nurse's cap to go on top of a tiered cake. The cake is a three tiered cake for the guests of honor at a Ball celebrating the Nurse Corps 100th birthday. I have no idea how to make this.

I have pictures of the nurse's caps but I don't know how many pieces, if many,to make the thing and how to attach them all. I know about gum glue, that's not my problem. It's how to set them and prop them together to ensure I have a good seal on all the pieces so there are no gaps. I want it to look like a real cap

This is a big undertaking and it was my idea originally but didn't mention it to them. Now, they brought the idea to me!!!!

I need help. What I need is a template.

Any help any of you can give me will be very much appreciated.

Amy

9 replies
cashley Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:35am
post #2 of 10

Hope this helps you it shows you how to make one
http://sewing.about.com/library/blnurse1.htm

wgoat5 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:53am
post #3 of 10

thats a great pattern!!!!

cakemommy Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 10

I found that same tutorial. Thank you! Do you think I should chance this and try and make this all one piece and fold it and then set on a carved piece of foam to dry OR should I make this in several pieces and glue them together?

Amy

cashley Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 10

I would do it in one peice!

cashley Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 10

I would do it in one peice!

wgoat5 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 10

I don't know if I would do it in one piece... sometimes fondant just can't meld into shapes like that unless done in pieces.. also the seams could be hidden in the deep crevices of the "hat" ..

cakemommy Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:27pm
post #8 of 10

I am making it out of gumpaste. Should I make it out of fondant so the cap can be thicker? Never thought about that! I do understand though about the seams hidden in the deep crevaces of the cap. Good point!

Amy

cashley Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:17pm
post #9 of 10

You could make it out of fondant and put some gumpaste with it and it will be stonger.

cakemommy Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:51pm
post #10 of 10

That's a good idea. Kind of like reinforcement. I need to get started on it this weekend so it has ample time to dry.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%