Save Those Egg Cartons

Decorating By lomikesa Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 12:15pm by LittleLinda

lomikesa Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:20am
post #1 of 9

I just though to share a tip.

I like to use my left over fondant to make extra flowers, they come in handy when I have a last minute cake to do.

But my problem was where do I put them to dry. I didn't want to spend money on those fancy flowers holders from Wilton's so I came with the idea to save the bottom of my eggs carton. They are perfect! and the flowers dry with a natural shape.

I hope this helps some of you,

Lomikesa
LL

8 replies
wgoat5 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:22am
post #2 of 9

I also do that to icon_smile.gif... the only step I do different is I cover it with plastic wrap icon_smile.gif and dust lightly with cornstarch icon_smile.gif

lastingmoments Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:31am
post #3 of 9

yep i agree thats a good idea....I also cover them in wrap because I remeber the big fuss over the fact that they may cross-contaminate because of the eggs

mommyle Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:37am
post #4 of 9

To make a shallower flower (not so rounded) I cut squares of tin foil and used the medium lily nail to make the cup and then dried them in the egg carton.

lomikesa Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:47am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastingmoments

yep i agree thats a good idea....I also cover them in wrap because I remeber the big fuss over the fact that they may cross-contaminate because of the eggs

I did not think of that, thank you lastingmoments I will do that!

sassycleo Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:06am
post #6 of 9

You can also save several (I think I use 4 or 5) of the 18ct egg cartons. Then start shopping at Costco BJ's or Sams which ever you have a membership for and get the eggs in bulk. I get mine 7.5 dozen (yes that is approx 96 eggs give or take a few if I drop them!) saves me a whole lot of money!

LittleLinda Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 3:23am
post #7 of 9

I save my egg cartons to give to friends who have chickens!

msthang1224 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:46pm
post #8 of 9

LOL, Littlelinda, i'm cracking up!

LittleLinda Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:15pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by msthang1224

LOL, Littlelinda, i'm cracking up!

I'm serious! I know three people who have laying hens. They don't buy their own eggs, so they need egg cartons to put their fresh eggs in!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%