Cake Bulging

Decorating By kristina67 Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 7:59pm by kaecakes

kristina67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristina67 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 8

I can't stand it anymore!!! I can't seem to shake the bulges from my cakes. I have read every post on this website as well as anything I can find on the web. I've tried letting my cake sit several hours, freeze and defrost, setting a light weight object on the top after I have filled, put a BC dam 1/4 inch in all they way around and then filling any holes with BC and letting that set for an hour before putting on more BC and fondant. I have a cake for you to look at and try to help me! Please, does anyone have as much trouble as me?
LL

7 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:42am
post #2 of 8

I feel your frustration. I would recommend getting sugarshacks buttercream dvd. She has an excellant method for preventing the dreaded buldges that works!

I recently got her dvd's and still learned a few things from them! Great dvd's and well done. You can either order them from Global Sugar Art or Sugarproductions.

Good luck

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:53am
post #3 of 8

I'm sorry I'm certainly no expert, but I have picked up some valuable tips here. If it is your filling causing the bulge, someone said to not just use buttercream as a dam, but to make a cake mortar by mixing BC with cake scraps from leveling and use this super stable mixture to dam and prevent leaks. Don't know if that helps, but thought it was worth sharing. Good luck thumbs_up.gif Oh forgot to add they said to make sure the dam is in a little from the edge to allow for settling.

Kyleen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kyleen Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:54am
post #4 of 8

Well it sounds like you are doing everything right. Hmm. Okay, this is what I do and I do not have this problem. I bake and let the cake rest for half a day. Then level, make a damn using very stiff buttercream icing (as suggested in sugar shacks video) then fill the cake. I place the other layer of cake on top and press evenly with a cake board. Smooth any excess icing that has oozed out. Then let rest for atleast 4 hours. I don't put anything on top of the cake because I always had a problem with the inverted buldge when I took it off. Anyhow, then I fill the space between the layers with my regular buttercream and smooth. Then ice with a thin layer of buttercream, mist with water and then place my fondant on top. No buldge ever. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

kentuckyjode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckyjode Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:56am
post #5 of 8

I agree with MNSnow.......Sugarshack's videos are unbelievable............I am a perfectionist, but she takes the cake!!!!!!!!!!!! Her instructions are second to none and the dvd's are worth every penny!!No more bulges!!!!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 3:12am
post #6 of 8

your dam need to be REALLY stiff. and your bc coat need to be very thin under your fondnat.

HTH

kristina67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristina67 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 8

WOW! Thanks for all of the great advice. I will go at it again next week. I think stiffer BC and letting rest for a while longer will be my next try. I will also look into the DVD as well. I love you guys!!!!

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 8

One other thing it could be your pans, if you are not useing straight sided pans. I know some people still use the slanted sided pans. Not CCers usually,but just incase I thought I would put that in the mix.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%