Wholesale Cake Mix Vs. Store Box Mix..advice???

Decorating By Lucy0618 Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 7:33pm by kakeladi

Lucy0618 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lucy0618 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 16

Hello everyone. Has anyone ever tried those big bags of wholesale cake mix in which all you do is add water and oil. Do you know if it taste any different from regular box mix? A man came to our studio and offered us the mix and adviced him we use box mix (money saver) and said we actually are not making profit from selling a box mix as we would in a big wholesale mix.

I was just wondering if it changes flavor being that it only comes in chocolate and yellow. We really don't do much decorations so we base our cakes on delicious cakes. If anyone has any information on this post please let me know. Thank you so much.

Luz.

15 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:50am
post #2 of 16

As I told my GFS sales rep just this morning, when he mentioned that "We have our brand of cake mix in the big boxes on our shelf." I said, "And as far as I'm concerned, they can just STAY on the shelf, too!"

Many scratch bakers will say they can taste the "chemical" taste of a cake mix. I didn't understand what they meant .... until I tasted the cake baked from this mix.

They "might" be ok if you're a baker who doctors a cake mix anyway. I just thought they, well, you know, bluntly ... sucked.
tapedshut.gif
Walmart will just have to get used to me wiping out their Betty Crocker mixes from the shelf. icon_rolleyes.gif

Lucy0618 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lucy0618 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 16

that's what I thought to. How good can they taste if they have so much added that you don't use Milk or Butter to doctor it up. I think I'll stick to my Boxes too.

But then it's 50lbs for $17.00
50 lbs for Box is 50.00!!!!

Got to try and see if maybe I can test one for right now.

Has anyone else tried it too??

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 16

I used the bulk mixes for years-Pillsbury-and had no complaints. Tried Dawn brand once-it sucked.

Anyway, when the Wal-Mart came to town (only 5 minutes away), I discovered that I could buy it cheaper by the box than the bulk price I was paying! So now my only issue was to get to Wal-Mart before the other cake decorator in town gets there first! icon_lol.gif

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedout

I used the bulk mixes for years-Pillsbury-and had no complaints. Tried Dawn brand once-it sucked.

Anyway, when the Wal-Mart came to town (only 5 minutes away), I discovered that I could buy it cheaper by the box than the bulk price I was paying! So now my only issue was to get to Wal-Mart before the other cake decorator in town gets there first! icon_lol.gif

lol i like that "Race to Walmart!"

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 16

Does anyone know if they sell Bulk Powdered Sugar? Or should I just stick to buying the individual bags? Since reading this, I will definitely stick to the mix on the shelf! But.....I would like to see if they sell Big bags of PS.

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 16

at sams club they sell 5 lb bags

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetneice

Does anyone know if they sell Bulk Powdered Sugar? Or should I just stick to buying the individual bags? Since reading this, I will definitely stick to the mix on the shelf! But.....I would like to see if they sell Big bags of PS.

I buy 4 lb bags at BJ's for $2.29... don't know if that helps.

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:19pm
post #9 of 16

Costco sells 50 pound bags of sugar for $19.99. If you have one of those food savers break them up into 2.5 or 5 lb bags and store in a tote until needed.

I just wiped out all of the local Kroger's when they had the BC on sale for a $1 and when you bought 10 they gave you $5 as an instant coupon on that order. So you got 10 mixes for $5 = 50cents a piece. I think I have four huge blue totes full of mixes.

lol

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:21pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:

I get P.sugar from sam's in 7 lb bags. Last price I paid was $3.69, which breaks down to $0.53/lb or about 13-15 cents/cup. I'm getting to the point where I want to buy it in 25 lb bags, but I don't want a 25 lb bag sitting around open and I don't want to spend the money for another dry ingredient bin. icon_eek.gif

sweetneice Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:45pm
post #11 of 16

THANKS! I'm going to try sam's. How long does it keep without going bad? Or does PS go bad at all?

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:48pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:

I just priced it at sams club in georgia and it was $8 for 7 lb bag dominos brand. Definitely worth my membership to get that.

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:04pm
post #13 of 16

As long as you keep the sugar sealed and away from moisture you should be able to have it indefinitely. That is why I get the 50 pound bags it breaks down to .39 cents for a pound - don't think i can find it much cheaper then that. I use the food saver so I don't have to worry about anything at all getting into the bag. I'm a big bug a phobe so everything i have is sealed and i clean all the time....lol I do the same thing with flour as well, buy the big bag and food saver that sucker. My inspector was impressed with the idea.

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:18pm
post #14 of 16

I love the foodsaver idea. I have one but never thought about it. I guess I can buy some things in bulk now. Glad to know that the bulk mixes aren't so good. I considered it but am happy with my box mixes too.

sweetneice Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:31pm
post #15 of 16

Great Idea! I don't have a foodsaver, but I think I saw one at Wal-Mart. It's definitely worth buying!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:33pm
post #16 of 16

I got my wholesale supplies from Dawn. I did use their commercial mix (50# bags) and they were great. As good as the BC boxes I used for yrs. You have to learn how to work w/it.....different way to mix it etc. but once I got the formula down pat it was good. You can dr them. You can use milk instead of water; you can use melted butter in it instead of oil; etc etc. Basically it's like using a box mix but yoiu have to weigh everything instead of measure by cups etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%