CiaâS Baking Boot Camp

Decorating By moreCakePlz Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 5:53pm by vteventrider

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 13

Has anyone been to CIAâs Baking Boot Camp? It is very pricey: $1700 for a four day class. icon_eek.gif I was wondering what they could teach you in four days that would be worth that much money.

12 replies
bevyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevyd Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 13

OMG for four days, what other things do you get for that price?That is a lot of money. I am so not in that league.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:14am
post #3 of 13

Alternatively, there's a book by the same name for about $25 icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:22am
post #4 of 13

I know a few people who have been through the CIA's program and it is a very pricey school, but it has one killer reputation. If you look at the french pastry school in Chicago they are pricey also, but same as above, good reputation.

I would take the class (I'd have to save up a lot though) if I knew more about what it covers.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:13pm
post #5 of 13

Here's what it says on their website. Interesting, but if you are only doing cakes and cookies, then I don't think it's worth it, though it would improve your skills overall.

http://ce.culinary.edu/ciachef/CourseListing.asp?master_id=246&master_version=1&course_area=AE&course_number=HBOOTB&course_subtitle=00

Do you want to improve your skills and ignite your passion for baking?

Itâs an exciting time in the field of baking, as more Americans are gaining an awareness of and appreciation for the wide variety of fresh baked goods available. Hereâs your chance to learn from the pros as you go into battle with the renowned chefs of the CIA in an intensive yet fun-filled environment.

After the lectures, demonstrations, and hands-on bakeshop production in this four day basic training course, youâll return home ready to storm your kitchen and dazzle your family and friends with your newfound confidence and skills.

At the CIA Baking Boot Camp, you will learn the fundamentals of baking and bread baking and discover the techniques used to create basic items such as cookies and brownies, muffins, quick breads, scones, and pies.

During the CIA's Baking Boot Camp, you will also:
dine in three of the CIAâs on-campus public restaurants

sit in on a lecture about food science and how it relates to baking

enjoy a bread tasting and lecture

tour the CIA campus

participate in âgraduationâ ceremonies at the end of the program

When you enlist in Baking Cuisine Boot Camp, you will be armed with our acclaimed textbook, Baking and Pastry: Mastering the Art and Craft and bakeshop fatigues that include two chefâs uniforms, each with a jacket, pants, and neckerchief. Paper chefâs hats, side towels, and aprons will be provided in class.

MichelleM77 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:15pm
post #6 of 13

......that price doesn't include accomodations either, so add a couple hundred bucks for a hotel for four days. If I win the lottery, I'll tell you guys if it was worth it. icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:17pm
post #7 of 13

so sorry to post so many times, but I just found Pastry Boot Camp listed on their website. Now that is something I'd be interested in! OMG It's $2000!

http://ce.culinary.edu/ciachef/CourseListing.asp?master_id=249&master_version=1&course_area=AE&course_number=HBOOTP&course_subtitle=00

Ready to enhance your pastry skills by learning from the pros? Success in pastry making depends mainly on a familiarity with, understanding of, and mastery of techniques.

After this five-day basic training course consisting of lectures, demonstrations, and hands-on production, youâll be able to create all those amazing fresh hot pastries and desserts you find at the pâtisserie right in your own home.

Hereâs your chance to go into battle with the renowned chefs of the CIA in an intensive yet fun-filled environment. At CIA Pastry Boot Camp, you will learn the fundamentals of pastry and the techniques used in creating basic preparations such as laminated dough, pastry creams, crème anglaise, pâte à choux (éclairs and profiteroles), mousses and bavarians, sponge cakes, and buttercreams and tarts.

You will also:
dine in four of the CIAâs on-campus public restaurants

indulge in a chocolate tasting

explore a variety of dessert wines

tour the CIA campus

participate in âgraduationâ ceremonies at the end of the program

When you enlist in Pastry Boot Camp, you will be armed with our acclaimed textbook, Baking and Pastry: Mastering the Art and Craft and bakeshop fatigues that include two chefâs uniforms, each with a jacket, pants, and neckerchief. Paper chefâs hats, side towels, and aprons will be provided in class.

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:30pm
post #8 of 13

HOLY SMOKES icon_eek.gif
I would love to do this also but I don't think I can afford that right now..........unless my family of 6 doesn't eat for about 2 or 3 months icon_razz.gif

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:38pm
post #9 of 13

I bought the book they have, the one above mentioned, that goes day by day on what they learned and recipes for them even, very cool book. I got from my library and then bought it at an book over stock store!
I think I'd start with this....kinda short on a couple thousand for pastry camp with 3 kids, 3 dogs a cat and a hubby with his own business! icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:03pm
post #10 of 13

Hey, just FYI they have scholarships available. I saw it when I clicked on "prospective students" tab.

Too bad they don't have more campuses, though.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:04pm
post #11 of 13

yeah, if they had more campuses maybe with a scholarship...maybe.

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:16pm
post #12 of 13

Ok, $2000 bucks must be the going price for ANY boot camp type of learning. I was just poking around on ICES and found that Colette Peters and Nicholas Lodge are going to be doing a 5-day teaching course in Nashville - cool, huh? And it's $2000!!! icon_surprised.gif Start saving your pennies...

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:53pm
post #13 of 13

Let me win the lottery, pay off other debts, and set my son up for college and then maybe my husband would let me spend that much on baking. I know he knows how much I would love to go to those since I wish I could quit work and go to culinary school, but he would KILL me if I spent that kind of money right now! I can dream though right?

If any of you get to go please share all about it so I can live vicariously through you thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%