Upright Surfboard: How Do I???

Decorating By akrainis Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 2:23am by akrainis

akrainis Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 8

Customer wants a cake with a surfboard standing upright. Would prefer it to be completely edible. I'd rather not make it out of cake, because there is already a lot of cake. And I'm not sure how logistically it could work- seems very thin and tall for cake- I'd worry about support and it not toppling over. I was thinking about carving styrofroam and covering it in fondant. Then customer says maybe make it out of chocolate. Are there large surfboard molds, or easy ways to make a mold? Anyone have any other ideas on how to make an upright surboard?? TIA!!

7 replies
Doug Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 3:11am
post #2 of 8
Ursula40 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 3:13am
post #3 of 8

What about making surfboard cookies and then placing them upright on the cake? They are edible and you could design them anyway you want

akrainis Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 8

thanks! Well, it needs to be bigger than 5".... more like 16" give or take. Cookies would be easier but I'm doing truffles already, I doubt they'll want cookies as well.

SugarBakerz Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 8

could you make a giant chocolate chip cookie cake, freeze and carve it??? then ice it standing... it would give you the sturdy you need plus not cake!

Decopac just released their new catalog and they have some SUPER cute luau/surf themed stuff. I am doing a cake for DD this weekend for a luau party and have yet to decide what I am making.... I am thinking of doing something similar to CAMBO's totem pole.

born2bake Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 8

For that size and to be edible, I would try making it out of chocolate. Look at candy forum here on how to melt down chocolate, temper it, cut it, etc. Melt down chocolate and pour it down on a parchment lined baking sheet, put it in the fridge to harden just a little bit (semi-soft). Make a pattern out of parchment paper, lay the pattern on the chocolate, using and Xacto knife or a pizza cutter, cut around the pattern and pull away the excess chocoloate not needed. Put back in the fridge to harden solid.

Now the down side. You'll have to be careful regarding the environment this cake will be in, i.e. warm room or direct sunlight will melt the chocolate.

Another option would be candy clay, that would harden, keep it's shape, but not sure if it would as great to eat like a chocolate bar would.

Good Luck

born2bake Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 8

Another thought. Cut the shape of a surfboard out of rice krispie treat )you make your own match), cover it with BC crusting and fondant over that. Depending on how big you think you can make the RKTs, you may be able to put a dowel in the middle of the surfboard (I'm thinking making the RKTs aournd the dowel) then use the dowel / surfboard to push down the the center of a stacked cake for support. Have your surfboard sticking up like the customer would like while having the support you need for a stacked cake.

Hope this makes sense.

akrainis Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:23am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the great ideas!
I have some interesting experiments in my future!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%