Gum Paste Flower Business-Advice For Someone Starting Out?

Business By Lori2240 Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 1:41pm by Lori2240

Lori2240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori2240 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 5

Im starting out and thinking of how I could actually create a business out of gum paste flowers. Does anyone have any experience/advice on the subject? What to do/what not to do. Do you think a bakery would be interested in buying such things from me? I also love to bake and decorate cakes, but I think trying to get the word out about that may be harder. I like to do more detailed and intricate flowers not mass produced ones, so I probably wouldnt be the cheapest alternative. Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

4 replies
beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:46am
post #2 of 5

honestly i think you'll find that most places won't be interested in paying you what your flowers are worth. the places that don't make them usually buy them in bulk from a wholesaler. they don't look nearly as nice as when each one is made by hand and painted artistically, but typically the places that buy them in bulk don't care. you may find that some decorators will be interested in buying them from you, but i doubt it will be often enough to run a whole business of it. you'll probably be better off selling them directly to brides/customers on cakes. I sell mine for between $5-$10 a piece (depending on the flower) and i feel thats what they are worth. i'm looking in my bakery crafts book right now, and you can get 8 stargazers for $16, 25 calla lillies for $18.25, 10 gerbera daisies for $15, etc. i really don't think any bakery will care enough to pay $5-10 a piece when they can get them for $1-2.

but, for real input you should call local places and just ask them if they would be interested.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:57am
post #3 of 5

At the Bakers Conention in Vegas last Sept, there were 2-3 booths of gumpaste flowers and they looked very nice, to this untrained, never-made-one-in-her-life lady. icon_smile.gif

As a baker, what I look at is "cost of me making them" vs. "cost of me buying them". It's a bottom-line decision. So cost-per is going to be a major factor, plus shipping cost and shipping quality (how many arrive unbroken).

bellatrixothersis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellatrixothersis Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:02am
post #4 of 5

I am in the same boat. I was thinking about a business selling my gumpaste flowers. But people don't want to pay for skill. My sister is a florist and I did crafts on the side selling at craft shows. You can sell one thing for 30.00 or 3 things at 10.00? Now I am just enjoying making the flowers as a craft.

Lori2240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori2240 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 5

I really appreciate your feedback. I can definitely see how it is a bottom line decision. There is probaby a place or 2 out there who would pay top dollar for a quality piece, but finding them is a whole other story. I appreciate your advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%