Need Some Help Or Advice

Decorating By snoopy3 Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 8:06pm by snoopy3

snoopy3 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 7

I have been asked to do a wedding cake for a friends sister. She is getting married at the end of May. I have never done a wedding cake! They will need to travel with the cake 4 hours! I don't know what I could make.. I don't think I would want to fill it. What about the icing? I don't know how to use fondant, will be taking that Michaels class soon.

So the buttercream I use is 1/2 marg, 1/2 shortening 4 cups icing sugar and 2 tbsp milk. Would this get too soft during the trip in the vehicle, it is liable to be warm! Also, how would you pack something like that to take for 4 hours?

Any suggestions??

6 replies
JanH Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:19am
post #2 of 7

The WASC cake is a very tasty, dependable and moist doctored cake mix recipe.

Here's the expanded flavors version:
(Using DH white cake mixes, a full recipe makes a tad over 14 cups of batter. Great for large or multiple smaller pans.)

Very dependable high heat & humidity b/c recipes:

How to smooth b/c using the Melvira method:

Link to Wilton's tiered cake making and decorating help links:

Cake preparation and servings guides:
(Gives batter requirements by pan sizes as well as recommended baking temps. and times and more - like how much frosting needed per tier.)

How much sleeved pastry filling to use by cake size:

Sleeved pastry fillings available online:

How to transport the wedding cake would depend on the support system used.

Illustrated common cake support systems:
(With complete and accurate directions.)

More info on SPS system.
(See leahs post.)

Illustrated level dowel cutting thread (by indydebi):

Cutting clean layers of filled cake:
(indydebi's method is easier than Wilton's and yields a few more servings.)

If you decide you want to cover the cake in fondant, there are CC recipes, hints & tips available - just post again. icon_smile.gif

Amia Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:39am
post #3 of 7

An all shortening bc is supposedly more stable, indydebi has a good recipe on here. I would definitely switch from marg to butter if you want to use your recipe. Margarine is already soft, so it will break down faster than butter, which is not what you want. As for the type of cake, I second the WASC. It's delicious, moist and dense. It holds up well. You can also double the vanilla in that recipe, and nix the almond, for a vanilla cake. A white chocolate cake is good too. The recipe I use for my white chocolate cake is:

1 box White Cake Mix (I use DH or Betty Crocker)
1 small box White Chocolate Instant Pudding
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup canola oil
4 eggs
6 oz melted white chocolate

I can't tell you how long to bake because I'm an "until it looks done" baker. I cook at 325 for 40 min and test every 5-10 min after that.

If you're worried about fillings, just fill with bc. Or use the stiffened bc to pipe a dam and fill with something that does not require refrigeration.

JanH Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:26am
post #4 of 7

Soft margarine spreads are not recommended for baking or frosting; they contain too much water...

However, the fat to water ratio of butter and margarine are exactly the same: 80% fat and 20% water (unless you manage to find some off-the-wall brand). The melting points are also approximately the same for retail brands.

Shortening is 100% fat and no water. Hi-ratio shortening is crammed with even more emulsifiers than Crisco and similar brands.

snoopy3 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the replies and info, Jan H - Thank you for all of the tips! That is amazing!!

I think I will just do a small square cake, maybe no filling. Do you think that it would be okay in a cake box for 4 hours? I am always worried about condensation. I had that happen to me once (mind you it was covered in a box and in the fridge) but my writting bled. It looked awful!

JanH Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 7

You need to put "something" between the cake layers (in order to make a layer cake) whether you use b/c or some other type of frosting/filling. icon_smile.gif

Also, if you could provide more information, i.e., how many servings are needed and what kind of cake you're using (like carrot, pound, etc.) - it would be easier to give more detailed help.

Post again, and you'll get more help!

snoopy3 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 8:06pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks again Jan - I don't really have any more info... my friend still hasn't talked to her sister. I don't know how many people they need to feed, or what kind of cake that they want. All I know is that she wants a small simple cake that can travel for 4 hours!

I know that I would have to put some type of filling if I layer.... but I may not even layer! Once I know more, I will certainly post more.

Thanks again for the help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%