Need Help Fast! Leaning Tower Of Cake!

Decorating By laurascakedesign Updated 20 Apr 2008 , 3:03pm by leily

laurascakedesign Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a small soda can-shaped cake for a birthday tomorrow. this is not my first sculpted cake, and i am at a loss as to what's going on. to make the can, i baked a 16" layer of cake and then cut circles out of it. i stacked and iced while the cake was frozen, and then iced the whole thing and let it thaw. when i got home today, i had the extreme leaning tower of cake!
it's so squishy and soft, whenever i tilt it back, it immediately falls right back over.
i think maybe my problem might be:
-too many layers, therefore too many layers of icing. maybe would make it soft, and collapse.
-i used duncan hines instead of BC, BC didn't have red velvet. I noticed when i got done baking and was "playing" with it, that the consistency of the cake was very frail.
*is there anything i can add to a box mix to make it more stable? butter, maybe, instead of oil?

Please please any suggestions would be awesome, i am going to redo it before Friday morning, but I want to get it right this time!!!

3 replies
Ursula40 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:06am
post #2 of 4

Did you dowel it? Did you have small cakeboards inbetween?How much icing did you put inbetween and how soft was that? I always bake from scratch and my cakes are pretty stable, but then I don't cut off the dome, but try to push it down, when it comes out of the oven, makes the cakes a bit more dense, but also more stable

mizshelli Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 4

As someone who had the same problem with a wedding cake, I can tell you, I used butter in that red velvet and it made it rubbery.....I had to throw out the cake >.<

leily Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 4

I am wondering the same thing as ursula. Did you use cake boards every 4" of cake w/dowels underneath?

How tall is the actually cake and what size round is it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%