How Do You Think This Was Done?

Decorating By rebekahjohnson81 Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 9:29pm by rebekahjohnson81

rebekahjohnson81 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 26

the top of the cake i mean ... i kind of like the design, but what would they have used to make it? thanks in advance icon_smile.gif
[img][/img]
LL

25 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 26

It looks to me like they just used a small spatula before the buttercream had crusted. Just make the strokes out from the center until you get that flower effect.

It's pretty...but would the design on top be visible to average height people, once the cake was on the table, or would it just look plain? (just my opinion, but then I'm really short so I always feel like I'm missing out on things icon_lol.gif )

rebekahjohnson81 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 26

i just really liked the color of the cake. i can't ever make super clean looking, tidy cakes like that. icon_smile.gif

thanks!

youre from my favorite part of texas! i'm from texas too, but i'm stuck in wyoming icon_sad.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 26

I like that color too.

I would guess they used one of the smoothing methods that people always talk about here, to get the sides of the cake that neat and smooth. I haven't tried any of them yet...lately I'm only into fondant icon_biggrin.gif and since I just make cakes as a hobby, I tell my friends they can only have a fondant cake if they want one of mine.

I'm glad you like this part of Texas...right now, I don't. It's gotten so crowded, and especially crowded with rude people, that I would love to just pack up and move somewhere else...but I can never figure out where, so we just talk about it and don't move.

Amia Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:55am
post #5 of 26

To get your cakes looking like that one, I highly recommend ordering sugarshack's DVD, Perfecting the Art of Buttercream. Her method is awesome and it's really easy! Sugaredproductions.com is the website.

And Texas_Rose, ITA about San Antonio. I can't stand the rudeness! I want to move too!!!!!!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Oh and just curious, but you wouldn't happen to know of a good cake decorating supply store in town? I know Lucy's cake shop sells some stuff, but the selection is limited.

vickinc Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 3:03am
post #6 of 26

HI Rebecca,

They did use a rounded spatula like a Wilton brand... The very first cakes I ever did was out of a deli and this lady showed me a quick way of making our sale cakes look decorative without adding money to them. We even did the sides of the cakes with diagonal strokes pulled from the bottom up while spinning it around on the turntable. Quick, easy and cute. ( and even the shortest people didnt miss out on the decoration ) Me being one of them also. Not real short here but short enough I have been on my tip toes alot through life!!

AmyGonzalez Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 3:51am
post #7 of 26

Another texan here. icon_smile.gif I love to VISIT San Antonio, but I would never like to live there. I'm a small town girl from Alice. I would like to move to Corpus Christi some day. It's 45 min away from where I live, and we go ther alot.

Amy

Amia Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:39am
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyGonzalez

Another texan here. icon_smile.gif I love to VISIT San Antonio, but I would never like to live there. I'm a small town girl from Alice. I would like to move to Corpus Christi some day. It's 45 min away from where I live, and we go ther alot.

Amy

You're from ALICE? My whole family is from there! You probably know them. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

bigmama1961 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:47am
post #9 of 26

LOOKS LIKE TO ME THE USED A SPOON PULL TO CENTER , NOW THATS HOW I WOULD DO IT I HAVE A SPOON FLATTEN OUT IT WORKS GREAT FOR DESIGNS..

penguinprincess Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:49am
post #10 of 26

I want to know how they did the boarder! I looks better than just a regular shell boarder. Any ideas?

AmyGonzalez Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:53am
post #11 of 26

amia1024,

I might know your family. Not only do I make cakes for my community, but I am also a nurse at our hospital, so I definitly meet and know alot of people. What is your family name?

Amy

lastingmoments Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:56am
post #12 of 26

I agree, I think its spatula work!

that being said "I am from San Antonio and temp transplanted in San Diego.........talk about rude people and crowded.....it make San Antonians look like saints! I cant wait to go back home next month.....I am also looking foward to the lower gas prices....."

melysa Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:02am
post #13 of 26

i think the frosting looks like a meringue buttercream (non crusting). i would have used the back of a slightly warm spoon to do so after chilling slightly.

the best way to smooth a non crustng icing is to use a bench scraper and a turn table. i use a clear twelve inch ruler to smooth the tops of my cakes (you can see through it enough to get down at eye level )

Texas_Rose Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:03am
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by amia1024

To get your cakes looking like that one, I highly recommend ordering sugarshack's DVD, Perfecting the Art of Buttercream. Her method is awesome and it's really easy! Sugaredproductions.com is the website.

And Texas_Rose, ITA about San Antonio. I can't stand the rudeness! I want to move too!!!!!!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Oh and just curious, but you wouldn't happen to know of a good cake decorating supply store in town? I know Lucy's cake shop sells some stuff, but the selection is limited.

I haven't been to any of the cake shops yet. I've been meaning to, but I haven't even had a chance yet to play with all of the gadgets I've bought at Hobby Lobby...so it's hard to make an excuse to drive across town to look for more stuff icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif soon, though, probably when I'm done moving (not out of the city, poor me, just to another apartment because my neighbor went nuts on us)

Amia Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:03am
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyGonzalez

amia1024,

I might know your family. Not only do I make cakes for my community, but I am also a nurse at our hospital, so I definitly meet and know alot of people. What is your family name?

Amy

I'll PM you. Don't want to get too personal on here. icon_smile.gif

lovetofrost Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:05am
post #16 of 26

very cute cake idea. I know what you mean about being vertically challenged. I'm 5'1" and half the time don't even realize there is a whole other part of things to see above me. I hear about all this not liking texas talk. You should become a Georgian. There's no better place.icon_smile.gif

Amia Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:14am
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetofrost

very cute cake idea. I know what you mean about being vertically challenged. I'm 5'1" and half the time don't even realize there is a whole other part of things to see above me. I hear about all this not liking texas talk. You should become a Georgian. There's no better place.icon_smile.gif

I've heard good things about Georgia, but I'd never convince my FI to move that far away. Both of our families live within 30 minutes of us. We're already being shunned for even considering moving to Austin or Dallas. icon_lol.gif

melysa Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:21am
post #18 of 26

the suburbs of dallas are nice!

rebekahjohnson81 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:24pm
post #19 of 26

i'm actually from Corpus Christi and i miss it terribly. the beach is gorgeous in the summertime ... but i haven't been to san antonio since about 2004 - i just remember really loving it ... i can imagine the population thereabouts is booming though ...

thanks for all the replies about the cake, ya'll icon_smile.gif

pjaycakes Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:58pm
post #20 of 26

penguinprincess - The border looks like a rope border done with whipped cream or a very light and fluffy icing.

penguinprincess Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:17pm
post #21 of 26

Thanks pjaycakes!! I better go practice my rope boarder-- have not done it since taking the class last year-- but i loved how it looked-- even more now seeing it on this cake! Thx again!

4starcakes Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 9:20pm
post #22 of 26

Rebekahjohnson81- I'm here in Corpus Christi and it is growing like crazy. The beach is great right now but we have been having wind gusts of 36mph everyday and fires are starting everywhere with the drought. Still beautiful though! thumbs_up.gif

rebekahjohnson81 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 9:25pm
post #23 of 26

i left corpus in june 2006 right after i got married and i miss the hot weather and the wind, and everything. in my part of wyoming we have had snow (piles and piles of it) since December and it doesn't show hardly any signs of letting up. I'll take 100+ texas summer to perpetual winter any day. icon_smile.gif

Amia Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 9:26pm
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahjohnson81

i left corpus in june 2006 right after i got married and i miss the hot weather and the wind, and everything. in my part of wyoming we have had snow (piles and piles of it) since December and it doesn't show hardly any signs of letting up. I'll take 100+ texas summer to perpetual winter any day. icon_smile.gif

Wanna trade? I'll gladly give you my house in SA. icon_wink.gif

rebekahjohnson81 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 9:26pm
post #25 of 26

ps 4starcakes: your cakes are awesome thumbs_up.gif

rebekahjohnson81 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 9:29pm
post #26 of 26

amia1024: i'd probably consider it but my husband would kill me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%