Urgent Assistance Needed

Decorating By butterflywings Updated 21 Apr 2008 , 1:05am by vmertsock

butterflywings Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 13

So I made a gazillion of these teeny little flowers to "glue" onto my teapot cakes and I thought I knew the best way to attach them, but now I'm that I am about to assemble everything, I'm having doubts.

What is the best, fastest drying, easiest to make "glue" to use for tiny little fondant flowers being "glued" onto a fondant covered cake?

TIA!!! I really appreciate everyone's help!

12 replies
butterflywings Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 13

ok, i found instructions for a gumpaste glue on wilton's site using 1 tbsp meringue powder & 1 tbsp water... i'm gonna give that a try...

martmarg Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 13

i have this recipe. I've never used it but it claims its very good. Also if you google the word edible glue you should be able to find tutorials. I found one I think last time i searched it . Also why don't you try royal icing. that's what i've used and it works just fine.
Here is the recipe.

Edible Glue

3/4 cup water
2 tbsp. corn syrup
1 tsp. white vinegar
1/2 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup cold water
Mix water, syrup and vinegar in small saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil. In small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water. Add this mixture slowly to first mixture. Stir constantly. Let stand overnight before using.

FromScratch Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 13

Royal icing will work too. You can dissolve some of your gumpaste into some water too, or just use a tiny bit of water. icon_smile.gif HTH's

julzs71 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 13

ditto what jkalman said. I also use alcohol. But I use royal icing the most.

Texas_Rose Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 13

I use buttercream...just tiny dots. I've glued pearls and flowers on. Even the large flowers held on the sides of the cake with buttercream.

smbegg Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 13

I just dillute some fondant with water and use it as glue. For heavier stuff I use RI.

Stephanie

wgoat5 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 13

Gum glue all the way for me... tylose powder and water

banba Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:13pm
post #9 of 13

I use the one Aine2 makes on youtube! It's just tylose mixed with water. She recommends you leave it sit over night so it turns clear but I have used it about an hour after I have made it and it's good glue!

Classycakes Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:17pm
post #10 of 13

I use vanilla. I brush a little bit on each flower, wait for a few seconds for it to get "tacky" and then it sticks just fine. Back in January I made a four tier wedding cake for a wedding show (picture in my photos). This cake had two tiers completely covered in fairly large (and heavy) calla lilies so I was a bit nervous about the heavy flowers sticking to the fondant. But they stuck without a hitch and the cake is still on my work shelf with the flowers intact and it's four months later!

I like using the vanilla because it's invisible. Maybe it's just me but when I try sticking flowers on with icing, I see all these little icing bumps that are visible when you look sideways. Obviously I'm a bit messy!!! icon_lol.gif

FromScratch Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:35pm
post #11 of 13

I use tylose and water too, but figured that Royal Icing would be easier to make on an urgent time line. icon_wink.gif

butterflywings Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:45pm
post #12 of 13

thanks everyone! my first thought had been RI, but I didn't want to make a big batch of it. however, after looking at my flowers, the centers i had originally planned weren't looking right, so i'm making a batch of RI right now, and will use that for glue and the center dots for the flowers.

i've gotten so much help and good advice and encouragement during this project... keep a look out for pics later tonight (or quite possible the wee hours of the morn if things don't go together as quick as i hope - LOL)

vmertsock Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 1:05am
post #13 of 13

Hi, I realize it's a bit after the fact now, but for light weight decorations I use piping gel. The tiniest bit holds things on. It's great for things like dragee's, you don't have to worry about trying to match the colors and seeing the icing underneath!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%