Covering Masonite Boards

Decorating By mkolmar Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 11:47am by DoniB

mkolmar Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 17

I just bought 2 masonite boards for some cakes do this weekend. What can I cover them with?
I want to buy what looks the best and have the buttercream absorb through.
Thanks in advance.

16 replies
bearcreek350 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:28am
post #2 of 17

I guess I don't get too fancy, I just cover mine with freezer paper. I use only masonite boards and get most of them back. I live in a small town. I have heard of people using contact paper, plastic tablecloths and things like that. Hope this helps you.

DianeLM Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:34am
post #3 of 17

I cover masonite boards with the same materials I use to cover any boards -- gift wrap topped with clear contact paper; or colored/patterned contact paper. If I want to cover the board with fondant, I'll top the masonite with a piece of 1/2-inch foamboard so there's room for a ribbon border. And I'll only do THAT if I need the masonite for extra support. Otherwise, I'll just use the foamboard by itself.

Quote:
Quote:

I want to buy what looks the best and have the buttercream absorb through.

Did you mean NOT have the buttercream absorb through?

mkolmar Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:37am
post #4 of 17

Thank you. It's for a full sheet cake and a 1/2 sheet cake that's a beach theme for a wedding. (couple was married last month -reception is on Friday)so I think any of those suggestions will work fine. I just want it to look nice.

DianeLM Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:43am
post #5 of 17

I'm glad you mentioned the cake sizes. One piece of 3/16" masonite may not be enough support for the full sheet cake. If it were me, I'd add a layer of 1/2-inch foamboard or, at the very least, double up on the masonite. If your masonite is thicker than 3/16", then I must know where you got it! icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:23am
post #6 of 17

I've been wondering what masonite is & where can you get it? I use 1/2" foamcore

AmyGonzalez Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:28am
post #7 of 17

I use masonite for all my heavy cakes. I use the 1/4 inch thickness. I love them, there great. They absolutely work on sheet cakes. I've never had any problems with them. I cover mine with wraping paper and then cover it with celophane.

Amy icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:33am
post #8 of 17

Yes, I meant NOT have the buttercream absorb through. (been one of those days)
Dandelion, you can buy masonite boards on-line. It's the material that they make clip boards from and is very sturdy.

DianeM- The sheet cake is going to be a single layer. do you think that this will be too much weight? If so were can I buy foamboard?

*My DH says that this is my hell week right now. I'm being pulled in 10 different directions right now and can hardly think or see straight.

dandelion56602 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:07am
post #9 of 17

I get my foamcore board at Hobby Lobby. Michaels has it too. If you don't have one of those an art store should have it. If you do have a HL the coupon for the week is 40% off one reg. price item. I think the 1/2" was $5 before coupon.

mkolmar Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:08am
post #10 of 17

Thanks!

wgoat5 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 10:13am
post #11 of 17

I LOVE foamcore... but for sheetcakes I always do covered plywood.. It's cheap.. and I can charge a small fee for it if they don't want to get it back to me icon_smile.gif (NEVER bends or warps... ) To date I have about 8 of them and have never had a problem getting them back. The only thing is I don't have any rounds... I just use the drums for rounds.

Mike1394 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 10:29am
post #12 of 17

For masonite does anyone try H Depot, or Lowes? You can get a 4x8 sheet pretty cheap, and they will cut the size you need.

Mike

wgoat5 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 10:46am
post #13 of 17

Do any of you know if Home Depot or Lowes would cut ROUNDS out of plywood?

Iloveweddings Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:04am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Do any of you know if Home Depot or Lowes would cut ROUNDS out of plywood?

I went to both Lowes and Home Depot and neither would cut them. I cover them the same way I cover the cardboard ones mainly fancy foil.

Mike1394 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:11am
post #15 of 17

They won't cut rounds.

Mike

wgoat5 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:16am
post #16 of 17

darn icon_sad.gif

But so glad I asked so I wouldn't drive the 70 miles to the nearest lowes

DoniB Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:47am
post #17 of 17

The hardware stores might not cut rounds, but it's possible to get a drill bit that's a 'cutting' bit, especially for things like this. I think the one we found was about $8. Just draw the circle on the plywood or masonite, and use the drill to cut it out. There are also special arms you can buy to help make perfect circles. I'm planning on getting a set-up like that, when I can, because I really hate having to go to the cake store every time I need a drum. icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%