Icing Disaster - Should I Throw In The Towel!

Decorating By kellygray79 Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 4:13am by psanders76

kellygray79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellygray79 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 8

I made a batch of icing using Sugar Shacks icing recipe - I have made it several times and have loved it - so the problem is definitely NOT the recipe but the icing maker. My icing looks more like a huge batch of grits or oatmeal!! What did I do wrong?!?! I did use regular shortening as opposed to the hi ration shortening but I have one other time and din't end up with this kind of mess. After mixing the shortening is looked very smooth and seemed like it would work fine but after adding my liquid and the powdered sugar it already was looking grainy but the longer i mixed the worse it got. I then started adding more powdered sugar and more liquid and everything I did just made it worse!! What did I do wrong? icon_cry.gif

7 replies
cuppy_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuppy_cake Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 8

Awwwwwww icon_sad.gif what a bummer!!

ive never made that kind of icing before but my remedy to all mistakes in the kitchen is stir the heck out of it icon_biggrin.gif
works wonders lol!

cheer up though you have to make mistakes to learn

Cuppy_cake xx

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 8

Her icing making techniques work on all of the shortening based icings as long as you fill the bowl full so there isn't a chance of any airbubbles getting into there.. Also your ingredients.... bad ps will cause major lumping and clumping...

I'm soo sorry you are having problems.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 8

it sounds like your ps had settled a bit... next time try sifting it before you add it in, that should eliminate the bumps.

kellygray79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellygray79 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 8

Is there any way to salvage the batch of icing i've made already? Probably isn't but I just want to be sure. I plan on going by the store on the way home so I can start all over again.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 8

If your BC is real thick you could try to add some of the hot liquid and see if that melts the bumps and lumps icon_smile.gif

Hope that works for you icon_smile.gif

kelleyinco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleyinco Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:59am
post #7 of 8

I have been there with this! I found that making a batch of white chocolate ganache and adding some of that brought back the icing. Smoothed it out, got rid of the grit. I have issues with the new shortenings... no fat in them. So this adds the fat back. Heavy cream by itself may work, too.

psanders76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psanders76 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:13am
post #8 of 8

I had the same problem today. I added more of the "creamer liquid" , turned KA mixer to 6 , walked away a few minutes and by the time I came back it looked great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%