Cyberchase Birthday Cakes (Computer Circuit Board & Buzz

Decorating By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 8 May 2008 , 1:48pm by SecretAgentCakeBaker

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 3

These are two cakes I made for my daughter's 6th birthday party. It was a Cyberchase theme (a math show on pbs).

I used Bunnywoman's marshmallow fondant recipe, that I found on the Wilton forum. This was my first time using it and was pretty easy. Obviously, I still have a way to go!

The first cake is Buzz, one of the characters from the show. The instructions to make him are on the pbs website, so my daughter wanted to do that.
She helped make this cake; the mouth got a bit messed up, but that's ok, because it was her cake and she had so much fun making it! I changed it a bit by using marshmallow fondant instead of frosting, and the fondant for the facial features, then I covered the plastic tree forms with brown fondant to make his ears/antenna (the original instructions said to use sugar cones for the ears and powdered donuts for the eyes.) This cake was completely eaten! It was a just boxed milk chocolate cake. I torted it and spread a thin layer of Nutella on each layer, then on top of that, peanut butter frosting. The entire cake was covered in the peanut butter frosting, then covered with the marshmallow fondant. (The peanut butter frosting was just buttercream that I added one cup of peanut butter to, then whipped it, with a bit of extra 10x sugar. I did not measure.)

The second cake is a circuit board. My husband and cousin both pitched in to make this and we had a great time. The zeros and ones around the edges spell out my daughter's name in 'computer language'. Our cousin painted the wires with the Wilton Silver pearl dust. My husband made the chips and capacitors and such with the marshmallow fondant.

The characters were just printed from the pbs website, laminated, then added wire to stick into the cake. My daughter had fun adding the characters herself (that's why they are spred out very evenly).

2 replies
mommacat5 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 3

My daughter would love them...she is 7 and CyberChase is one of her favorite shows.Great job!!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks! Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I guess I didn't have it set up to notify me when there was a reply, so I thought there were none!

Check out the pbs website. They have TONS of Cyberchase suff there, and great things for parties, if you are interested in doing that for your daughter. We did pin the wig on Hacker, and I set up stations, which we called 'Cybersites' which had printouts of different activities from the website. The kids went from site to site figuring out the answers, and we gave them small prizes from time to time. We also made squawk pads for them to use (a calculator attached to foam core, with a little spiral pad above the calculator and a bendy pencil attached). It was a fun party because of all the activities were were able to get from the pbs website.

Quote by @%username% on %date%