How Do They Look?

Decorating By butterflywings Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 2:48am by kentuckyjode

butterflywings Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:36am
post #1 of 6

Ok, so I made some fondant roses (aka duff roses) yesterday. How do they look? Did I roll the fondant too thin? Should I have done a 50/50 gumpaste/fondant mix? Criticism is wanted and welcome. Compliments are good, too icon_biggrin.gif

I also made some fondant ribbon roses, but I haven't uploaded those pics yet. I'll post them later today.

TFL... I appreciate the info and help I got before making these. Oh and whoever posted the tip about making a cornstarch or powdered sugar pouf out of a clean knee-hi... you're a genius and my hero! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
flamingobaker Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 12:07pm
post #2 of 6

I think they look very nice, not too thin. On some of them it looks like the fondant was too dry (rough edges). Since they are probably from the same batch, maybe you did something different when cutting or rolling?
I just started learning how to do these myself this weekend and yours look better than mine thumbs_up.gif

butterflywings Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 6

I noticed that and when I switched to working the ribbon roses, I kneaded a little shortening in. I think if I had done that before I cut this out, the probably wouldn't have that rough edge.

butterflywings Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 7:24pm
post #4 of 6

anyone else?

matwogirls Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 6

I think that they look really good. icon_smile.gif Just the right thickness. The last time I tried them I did not overlap them as much as I normally do. I did more of a 1/4 overlap. And they looked different, but in a good way... you know? bad thing is I think I forgot to take pictures of them and I have not uploaded in awhile as I am always at work. But maybe for some variation it may be nice to try. Plus on some I rolled 6 cirlces and it just added an extra petal on the outside that seemed to finish them off abit more. I think having couple different ones sid beside looks rather nice as all roses are not exatly alike in a dozen.

I would not mind if someone else tried these and told me what they think as well.

kentuckyjode Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:48am
post #6 of 6

Where is the tutorial for these?

Quote by @%username% on %date%