My First Fondant Cake!!

Decorating By Kay_NL Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 2:24pm by luvmykidz

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:54am
post #1 of 13

This was my first time working with Fondant and I enjoyed it, it was hard work kneading it to be soft enough, but once on the cake it looks fantastic! Unfortunately we don't have much selection here and I had to use yucky tasting Wilton stuff, but I am going to order in 20 lbs of Fondx, which I've heard great things about!

Here is my cake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1210006.html

I wanted much brighter colors than the Wilton book instructs, I hate being told exactly what to do! icon_razz.gif

12 replies
AnnieM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieM Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:10am
post #2 of 13

That turned out cute! I did this cake in one of the Wilton courses, too. It sat on my counter for a week and a half - we never did eat it because I didn't want to cut into the fondant (Wilton may taste disgusting, but it does look nice and is fun to work with!)

Annie

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:18am
post #3 of 13

icon_surprised.gif Wow, you did a great job! I'm trying my first fondant covered cake soon too...I hope it looks as nice as yours! thumbs_up.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:39am
post #4 of 13

You did a great job on this! Everything smooth and bow looked great. I loved doing this cake too in class. got me looked on fondant, but I admit, I ripped off all the fondant to eat the cake. Am hooked on MMF now!

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:56am
post #5 of 13

Nice job on the covering with no wrinkles.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 13

beautiful job! you should be proud!

cuppy_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuppy_cake Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 13

oh thats amazinnng!! teach me icon_sad.gif lol!
is fondant icing royal icing?
ive got like a slab of this icing in my cupboard!
think its the same stuff its hell to get smooth my moms mate said i should use marzypan underneath t to get rid of all the little lumps and bumps but would marzypan be suitable to use with a simple sponge? x

luvmykidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmykidz Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 9:56pm
post #8 of 13

That cake is beautiful!
i'm making my first fondant cake too and I am so scared!
how do i get all the bumps out of the cake before the fondant? you guys make it look so easy and I KNOW it isn't! the cakes look so perfect.how do i do that?????oh, any help would be sooo appreciated! icon_smile.gif
Soly

buzymom1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buzymom1975 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:52am
post #9 of 13

luvmykids, I recently did my first fondant cake and the only words of advice I have to offer, is make sure your icing underneath is as smooth as possible. I had trouble with the bottom of the fondant laying smooth, but since have realized, I didn't trim enough of the excess off before I tried to smooth it. Good luck, I am sure you will do fine. Post a picture when you have it finished please.

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:03am
post #10 of 13

Your cake is really cute. I love the colors and think it came out great! I don't like the wilton fondant either, it is extremely ugly tasting. I use satin ice and was really surprised how good it tastes. I think i'm even a little addicted to it icon_lol.gif Keep up the great work! thumbs_up.gif

Amy

CoveredInCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoveredInCake Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:07am
post #11 of 13

I am in the same class as you are, but I don't do exactly what th book does. I made my fondant brown and did blue circles instead of flowers. My teacher is a good sport about it.
You did a great job! Have you tried MMF yet? I am thinking about trying it out tomorrow. I don't cake for Wilton's fondant taste at all. I've heard MMF isn't bad.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:50pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you so much for the compliments everybody!

I basically iced my cake just like I would a regular buttercream cake, so it looked great before I put the fondant on! I found the smoothing fairly easy, the rolling was a bit difficult but I need a new rolling pin.

new2cakesAR, I really really want to try the MMF but am a bit nervous. icon_eek.gif I want to do a navy blue final cake and don't want to fool it up. I looked at your cake, you did a fantastic job!! I can purchase McCall's or Virgin Ice here, but none of the other varieties I hear great things about... MMF sounds like the cheapest and easiest way for me.

luvmykidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmykidz Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:24pm
post #13 of 13

ok. so you add a thick layer of buttercream before you put on the fondant? and this will take off the "moon crater" look?
and also, i have to bake 2 layers per tiers????? cause i see the tiers are each so tall.....
and then with a knife i shave off the top and sides (before the buttercream) so that it will look perfect????
i'm freaking out! i have a week to do this. i practiced with a cake yesterday but came out aweful. i did only one layer and thats where i realized its 2 layers per tier......
i don't know what i'd do without you all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%