Smooth Chocolate Ganache On The Cake

Decorating By liakarman Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 11:53pm by vmertsock

liakarman Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 9:18am
post #1 of 3

Hi, i am new in cake decoarating. I would like to know how can i get a smooth ganache ont top and side of the cake? and can chocolate ganache can make into flowers or swirl on top of a cupcake? Thank you for yr help and answers.

warmest regards,

2 replies
Colliegirl Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 9:30am
post #2 of 3

Hi Likaraman, I am not sure that I know the best answer to this. I only remember my first foray into ganache and I swore never to do it again. icon_biggrin.gif

It does very much depend on the weather and I remember it was a particularly hot day and I had to put the cake with the ganache into the fridge every 10 mins before it started to melt again. There was indeed a lot of cursing at this I tell you not. This coming from someone who hates to curse. icon_lol.gif

Hope someone can help you and enjoy the experience, cake decorating is good for your artistic side, I say. thumbs_up.gif

vmertsock Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 3

Hi, When I cover cakes with ganache, I usually make it and let it sit at room temp covered overnight. In the morning it's wonderfully silky. Then I use it as regular frosting, with a turntable, spatula etc. You could alternatively whip it with a wisk, but you have to be really careful it isn't cold (it shouldn't be if you left it out) or to overwhip as it will turn grainy. After I get it smooth I like to take a chocolate glaze, (I use 1/4 cup whole milk, 1/2 cup heavy cream boiled, add 2 Tbsp corn syrup and 8 oz good chocolate) to pour over and make it super shiny and gorgeous. The ganache I use is 1 to 1 cream to chocolate and I use it all the time to coat cakes, do borders, cupcakes, etc. I have never tried doing flowers with it however, I think for most flowers it's probably too soft. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%