Architechtural Cake --Advice? Hints?

Decorating By penniethewoo Updated 16 Apr 2008 , 11:22pm by kakeladi

penniethewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penniethewoo Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 6:02am
post #1 of 2

Ok, I am getting ready to make (or at least thinking about it) a cake of a church building. It has the main building part, the steeple, and covered walkway with arches around three sides. Originally I was thinking 16x12 (three tiers stacked) for the main part of it, and doing the steeple and walkway and maybe the roof in gum paste.
So my problem is I think it will be too big. I need it to feed 150-200. Is there a good way to determine scale? Is gum paste the going to work for this? --I've never used gum paste before. How should I do the roof?

Or if anyone else has a great idea for a sanctuary payoff party cake. . . I'm open to ideas.

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 2

I like your plan so far. Will it work? I've never done anything like it but I think it wouldicon_smile.gif
As for being too big....you say:"16x12 (three tiers stacked)"... I think you mean 3 *layers* for a heigth of 6"x12"x16". This will not be too much at all - in fact maybe a bit less than you want.
If you put one of those layers on a cake board the same size as the cake it can be served in 2x2x2 blocks (4icon_cool.gif while the rest of the cake would be served in 1x2x4 pieces (106). This is the same amount of cake - just shaped differently - a total of 154 servings give or take a few.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%