Do You Believe In Signs? (Long)

Business By Cascades Updated 16 Apr 2008 , 10:50pm by MichelleM77

Cascades Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 5:57am
post #1 of 8

I joined Cake Central a little over a year ago when I had a complaint about a wedding cake from the bride and her mother. I was so upset that they weren't happy with the cake that I gave them back $100 (cake was $450 for four tiered fondant). I thought the cake looked nice but they said that it looked too cartoonish and that it looked like the leaning tower of pizza. I did not see a lean. I wanted to give up right there and then.

I hit the search engine on my computer for cake diasters and it brought me to Cake Central. The words of encouragement and other stories kept me going.

Flash forward, one year and 25 weddings later, I am again feeling low because cake orders are slow. A bride shows up at my door for a cake that I am doing in May asking if she could change a little bit of her cake to a style she found in a Bride Magazine ( Bridal Nouveau from Central California) and there sitting right beside her cake in a feature on what the magazined called " BN spired! Cakes created in the kitchens of the valleys finest bakers", was my cake! It looked beautiful.

Thank You Cake Central for helping me not to give up.
I feel renewed!

Cascades

7 replies
AnythingSugar Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 6:12am
post #2 of 8

Wow! What an honor! Congratulations and keep up the great work.

death_by_frosting Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 6:23am
post #3 of 8

***clap***clap***clap***
tons of glitter and confetti in the air for you!
thanks for sharing your story! thumbs_up.gif

drgaddy Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 6:24am
post #4 of 8

Congrats! You are right, signs are all around us! Keep up, you are obviously doing a great job! The orders will come...for sure!

Cascades Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 6:30am
post #5 of 8

Thank you guys. I guess it just goes to show that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. What they thought was cartoonish, someone else thought was just right for their magazine. It has taught me not to take things so personally!

all4cake Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 6:50am
post #6 of 8

That is a fantastic story! Very uplifting. Thank you for sharing!

I most definitely believe in signs!

Erdica Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:27am
post #7 of 8

What an amazing compliment!!! I would have been floored!!!!! Congratulations!!! Did you get a copy of the magazine? If not, I'd contact the magazine and tell them that's one of your cakes and they will probably send you a copy.

MichelleM77 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 8

Oh yes, I believe in signs. This might not be a big sign to anyone else, but it was touching for me.

I was packing up all of the decorations from our mantel the other day (we are moving on Saturday) and was taking my grandmother's picture off of the Hallmark family tree thingy. She had on a purple shirt and I had put her in a purple frame. I always liked her in that color, but didn't think about it until I looked at that picture. It hit me that I had chosen purple as my business color and never even liked purple, so it was odd that I had chosen that color. Then it hit me.....gram must be looking out for me, helping me when I didn't even realize it. I had been down lately too. Orders are slow, my other job stinks, just getting depressed. Maybe it's not necessarily a "sign," but it helped bring my spirits up that night.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%