How Not To Ask For A Job...

Business By CoutureCake Updated 16 Apr 2008 , 11:37pm by sarahnichole975

CoutureCake Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 4:36am
post #1 of 8

I just got a call today... that, well, it speaks for itself... I honestly had forgotten there really ARE people out there in the world who haven't a clue on how to network for a job.. Or how to approach a potential employer from the first moment knowing that you never know if the person they want to talk to is on the other end of the line answering the call themselves...

I was out in the garage staining a cabinet, so took a while to pick up the call...
ring...ring... ring... ring... ring...
me: (sweetly icon_biggrin.gif ) "Hello!"
Reply from caller: (demanding/rude tone icon_mad.gif ) "I need to speak to a manager"
me: (???? but still being nice thinking telemarketer the whole time icon_confused.gif ) what is this in regards to?
caller: (using same tone icon_mad.gif ) "I'm looking for a job, are you hiring?"
me: (not believing how I was just asked for one... but two, which business???) "no"
caller: "o.k. (as if to end the conversation right there)"
me: (curiosity because I'm wondering WHICH business she expects to get a job from icon_twisted.gif ) "what type of job are you looking for?"
caller icon_surprised.gif : "Entry level, doing ZYZ"
me: (my reply thinking of someone who I have given a lot of referrals to while I'm on down time building the new facility that had made a slightly snarky comment to me about my projected date to start accepting offers again icon_twisted.gificon_evil.gif ...) Call (this person) from (this business)...
caller: (little brighter tone icon_surprised.gif ) thanks!
me/her: bye! thumbs_up.gif

How NOT to ask for a job... I mean ZERO rapport building is a bad start-off asking to speak to a manager like there was an order problem at a one-woman-show company, but learn a little bit about the company first before asking for a job there... I can handle direct just fine (cut to the chase) but there was no mini sell-yourself verbal resume', email, noth'n... No "I'm graduating from (pick the culinary school) looking for an externship, are you hiring?"... No "I checked out your website and live in ____ and am wondering if you're hiring?" nada, zilch, zip.

Just thought I'd pass that one along to you for the laugh and for the file for "how NOT to ask for a job!" icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif I honestly wish the caller luck with her job search, but I was about ONE step away from giving her a "job hunting 101" lesson because I'm one where I assume the attitude of "I'm always hiring the RIGHT candidate!" (but I'm not open for business now, so technically, I'm not hiring anyone at the moment)...

7 replies
julzs71 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 5:00am
post #2 of 8

Maybe they were just filling out their unemployment benifits card. You have to make so many calls and so applications.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 5:00am
post #3 of 8

Well you're a lot more patient than me. I probably would have said something to the caller - first: 'No, I'm not hiring', and also, 'With an attitude like yours don't expect to get too many yes's when you ask that question to others'. And I probably would've hung up.

What is this world coming to anyway?! Do manners no longer matter? Just common courtesy? It's amazing to me. Well right now I'm in a bad mood myself due to a response to an e-mail I sent to my DD's teacher and homeroom parent (I also cc'd my DH). The response to me wasn't bad, but then the parent sent an e-mail about me to the teacher and forgot to not CC my DH! I've been annoyed since last night and right now I feel that the 'me generation' has taken over. No common courtesy or decency anymore. I sound like a 95 year old talking about the teenagers of today and in the meantime I'm 38.

I would never think to call someone about a job and not try to sound professional and pleasant. You're a better person than me.

julzs71 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 5:12am
post #4 of 8

o.k. Sorry to change the subject, what the heck did the homeroom parent say.

CoutureCake Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 5:24am
post #5 of 8
Originally Posted by julzs71

o.k. Sorry to change the subject, what the heck did the homeroom parent say.

LOL... I was thinking the same thing... BUT, I would recommend DH carbon copy it to the principal and say "WHOOPS!!!" icon_lol.gificon_wink.gificon_twisted.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 6:37am
post #6 of 8

I'm sorry for this detour - I don't mean to hijack your thread, CoutureCakes.

In short, I asked the teacher and h.r. parent if they by any chance had the $10 check I wrote out in Feb. that was never cashed. It was for a donation towards the basket from the class to be raffled off at the PTO's one and only annual fundraising event. (There's one basket from every class in addition to about a hundred other donated baskets/items.)

They each responded that they didn't have it. Fine. The teacher had made a joke that even though he could use another $10 he didn't have it. So I responded that since I was balancing my checkbook I would just add it back to my account, after all I could use $10, too; ha ha.

The parent then e-mailed the teacher (with the cc to my hubby that she probably just forgot to delete): Well you'd think she'd say....'Okay, Ill get you another check ASAP'.

I know this isn't a really big deal, but it really did rub me the wrong way as to originally sign up to be a PTO member there is a $10 donation required if you can't volunteer. I had "donated" $25 (I have two children in the school and a 2-1/2 year old that prevents me from volunteering for almost all events - no babysitter to rely upon). I had also donated $10 for my son's class basket. And finally, the last time I wrote out a $10 check for the donation toward class parties, it was on 9/21/07 and the check wasn't cashed until 11/6/07. This is all in addition to going to the fundraiser ($140 for tickets for two), purchasing two books of raffle tickets ($25 ea. for a total of $50), and purchasing a third book the evening of the event - which, by the way, was scheduled for a Friday during Lent so DH and I could only eat salad and pasta and had to pay $2 for each bottle of water.

So this remark bothered me because she had the gaul to get annoyed that I wasn't making up the $10 check that either she or the teacher was irresponsible enough to have lost! I'm sure my $10 is not going to bring the PTO/school down to its knees!

My daughter is bringing the check and a note which includes all of the above information to school tomorrow to the attention of the teacher and h.r. parent, as well as a copy of the other check (back and front) showing how long it took for it to be cashed.

P.S. I began the note...."Well you'd think here's the new check." I think they'll realize her mistake.

Again sorry to have hijacked the thread. Now back to how not to appy for a job....already in progress.

MichelleM77 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 8

Totally OT too, but PTO's are the worst at cashing checks. I don't know what the problem is with schools and PTOs, but we (and friends and family) write checks for fundraiser items and it is MONTHS before those puppies are cashed. My family refuses to buy from the fundraisers because of this, or they pay cash, but most of them just don't buy. When will the PTO learn............

sarahnichole975 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:37pm
post #8 of 8

First, yes, people are unbelievably rude these days. I recently told my daughter that if "you greet the world with a smile, it will smile back at you." Meaning if you take the initiative to smile at every person who crosses your path, you're bound to get some back. And not only in person, but also when you talk to someone on the phone as well. This lesson was taught as we had to find a bag for my step mother at the airport. The amount of help we received was amazing. I've also learned that smiles are extremely contagious. I wonder how many calls this gal got blown off on, and you're right julzs, she probably was filling out that unemployment card...

As for the PTO...our entire school won't take checks for ANYTHING which means I have to send my elementary school aged kids with cash for everything, which I find risky. Once my ds lost a $20 I sent in for lunch, needless to say, they didn't give him a $20 credit for lunch. Funny, they stopped taking them bc of too many bounced checks, maybe the checks were bouncing bc they took so long to cash them...

Quote by @%username% on %date%