Mmf Can't Get It To Work? Help

Decorating By gdcox76 Updated 12 Aug 2005 , 2:09am by charlieinMO

gdcox76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdcox76 Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 5:55am
post #1 of 30

I have tried 4 batches of MMF everything appears to be fine until I roll it out and try to move it. I crumbles and cracks all over the place. First it was sticking but I went back and reread the instruction and used cornstarch on the board and that fixed that problem. But now I can't get it to stay together. AFter I have rolled it out on cornstarch I don't think I can knead it back together and try again can I??? So I'm on batch 4 and have had no success. Could I be not using enough marshmallows. I have a really big bag of them and have been measuring out 16 oz which is 2 cups that is not a lot? Anyone please help. I'm getting very discouraged and I need to figure this out. The wedding cake I'm making for the 27th has 3 tiers and my practice cake is only the middle size tier 10" x 4" high. I did a 9" x4" using Wiltns Fondant but it was just plain gross but it worked out as far as rolling it?

29 replies
ivanabacowboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivanabacowboy Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 6:52am
post #2 of 30

I personally havent tried mmf yet, but I can tell you from general baking experience: 16 ounces of marshmallows I am very highly doubtful is 2 cups volume. I am just off the top of my head guessing 16 ounces by weight of marshmallows is plenty more than 2 cups by volume of marshmallows.

A "cup" of marshmallows would weigh less than say a "cup" of sugar, as a cup is a volume measurement and an "ounce" is a weight measurement. That may be your problem. If you have a really large bag, weigh using a scale rather than by volume and that may help.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 7:19am
post #3 of 30

I wish I could help you. I tried marshmallow fondant twice and had no luck. It was so sticky that no matter how much sugar I added or how much shortening I put on my hands, it just stuck and stuck and when I tried to get it up it would rip. I wish someone could share the secret to working with it. Good luck... Hopefully someone will give you a good answer and it will help me out too. icon_smile.gif

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 8:17am
post #4 of 30

I've used the mmf and had a time of it at first. I did lightly grease my rolling area with shortening and dusted a small amount of cornstarch here and there when needed and I also kneaded the mmf for some time before rolling it out.
During the rolling process, I kept lifting, dusting lightly and turning around, not over so it wouldn't stick to the surface.
While kneading it, if it felt dry, first I warmed it in the microwave then I added shortening to my hands a tiny bit at a time. If it was too sticky I added a dusting of cornstarch to the surface a little area at a time.
Depending on what you use to roll it out with, that also needs to be dusted to keep from sticking to your fondant.
Turtleshell just made a very pretty cake using mmf, she may have more tips for you and I'm sure if you asked her she would be more than happy to help, as will others on here!
Okay "others", if I've strayed into territory that I shouldn't have just let me know!!!
Everyone has their own methods, so I hope this helps.

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 8:24am
post #5 of 30

Just thought of this, I should have put it in earlier...
When using the 16 oz of mm, just use a 16 oz. bag of them as it's the correct measurement.
Also, if you haven't checked it out, here is a link to use that may be of some help:
http://www.cakecentral.com/article47-How-to-Make-and-Decorate-with-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html

Thalia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thalia Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 30

Hi:

I love using the mmf. After mixing everything (I use recipe in MMF article on this site) I only use shortening ..on my hands, on the rolling pin, on the counter surface where I am going to roll it out. Always works and amount of shortening I use doesn't affect flavor. I use a little powdered sugar on waxpaper when I make flowers, etc that I am leaving out to dry.

Thalia

eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 30

icon_smile.gif I don;t exactly measure, just 1 bag of tiny Marshmallows and 1 bag of Powdered sugar + 2T of Water.. I've done it 5 times already , no problem so far.. maybe it is the weather where you are !! Can't figure..
All my cakes came out great using MMF... just keep trying, at least the ingredients are not expensive.. icon_lol.gif [/b]

beccal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccal Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 6:18pm
post #8 of 30

I use a recipe for MMF that only calls for 6 cups of sugar. I think the 8 might be a little too much, making it too dry, thus causing it to crack. 6 cups keeps it very piable for me... maybe try that, using less sugar. icon_rolleyes.gif

beccal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccal Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 6:19pm
post #9 of 30

I use a recipe for MMF that only calls for 6 cups of sugar. I think the 8 might be a little too much, making it too dry, thus causing it to crack. 6 cups keeps it very piable for me... maybe try that, using less sugar. icon_rolleyes.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 6:28pm
post #10 of 30

gdcox76, it sounds to me that your MMF is too dry ... try adding less confectioner's sugar or add a few marshmallows to it .

A lot of people work with fondant differently. I've done it both with Crisco and with cornstarch. Both of these will work, it's a matter of preference to the person working with it. icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 6:28pm
post #11 of 30

2 cups of marshmallows (volume) is definitely not enough. The absolute best way to know that you are using enough marshmallows is to buy the 16 oz bag the next time you want to make the MMF. Then measure out how many cups the bag holds. For example, if the bag holds (hypothetically) 4 cups, then you can measure out four cups of marshmallows from your big bag when making MMF from that point on and you will know that you are using the correct amount. Does that make ANY sense?

I believe that lack of enough marshmallows was your problem as far as cracking goes. I'm not really sure about kneading it after you've put cornstartch on it. I don't use cornstarch. But .... you may not use cornstarch either after you've worked with a batch of MMF that has enough marshmallows in it. I always just spray a little nonstick cooking spray onto my surface and hands and rolling pin and that works out great for me. As I'm rolling, after every 3 or 4 rolls with the pin, I pick it up, spray the mat again, turn the fondant and roll again. I also use latex gloves to avoid extra mess (I spray the gloves too.)

Another thing to remember when working with MMF, knead the portion of MMF that you will be using for about ten seconds with your hands. If, when you squeeze it in one hand, it doesn't squish through your fingers like play dough or silly putty, then pop it into the microwave for 3-5 seconds. That is the best test I know when trying to get the right consistency for working with MMF.

I think the secret is following the amounts in the recipe EXACTLY. If you get any ingredient slightly off, I think it throws the entire batch off. But that's just my opinion. Hope that helps!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 8:20pm
post #12 of 30

I agree - not enough marshmallows (or too much sugar). You can probably salvage it by kneading in more melted marshmallow - be careful - it's hot. You could also try a little crisco solid. That works for me when I use MMF i've stored and it's a little dry.

What brand of MM are you all using? I have NEVER seen a 16 oz bag around here - they're all 12 oz. (I've been driving myself crazy over this!). I usually end up using a bag and eyeballing a third of the second bag. It would be much easier to have a 16 oz bag - not to mention storing the extra!

Misdawn Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 8:25pm
post #13 of 30

You can get the cheapie generic brand marshmallows at Wal-Mart....16 oz for 88 cents! Also, they have their cheapie powdered sugar...2 lb bag at 1.09. That's the only way I've ever made my MMF. It turns out perfectly and the entire batch only costs about $2.15 after tax.

beachcakes Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 8:29pm
post #14 of 30

Thanks Misdawn! is that a Walmart brand? I live 50 miles from the nearest one so I dont get there very often. But i'll definitely look next time!

Misdawn Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 8:30pm
post #15 of 30

Yeah, just the cheap WalMart brand.

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 9:03pm
post #16 of 30

Don't know if this will help or not but a post I read a long time ago for a smaller batch said to "pack" the marshmellows into the measuring cup very tight. This might help you get more into your recipe if you don't have the 16 oz bag. Good luck. (oh also, the crisco helps me too.)

Charlotte

gdcox76 Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 11:26pm
post #17 of 30

I'm going to guess that I havn't been using enough marshmallows and try it again after I get to the store, to get more sugar and the smaller bags of marshmallows. I appreciate the description relating it back to playdough the visual will be helpful. Playdough I get (1 and 2 year old love playdough). I'll try again and let you know!

gdcox76 Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 5:48am
post #18 of 30

Just in case anyone else is also challenged in the area of convertion, a 16 oz bag of mini marshmallows fills my 8 cup measuring cup to the top no squishing. Thanks for everyones help. Now if I can figure out how to do a drape I'll be in business.

Misdawn Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 12:40pm
post #19 of 30

Good luck figuring out how to do a drape. I still haven't gotten that one down yet! Let me know the trick if you figure it out!

beachcakes Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 1:22pm
post #20 of 30

oooo thanks gdcox! I have one of those!! THat is very helpful!

jdogga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdogga Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 2:09pm
post #21 of 30

can MMF be used on dummy cakes?? OR should I use regular fondant?

Misdawn Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 2:11pm
post #22 of 30

It works great on dummy cakes. In fact, that's how ntertayneme showed me to cover a square cake. We used MMF and a dummy cake.

Niki027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki027 Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 2:17pm
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

Good luck figuring out how to do a drape. I still haven't gotten that one down yet! Let me know the trick if you figure it out!

I'd love to learn too. This cake is really pretty.

jdogga Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 2:37pm
post #24 of 30

does it keep well on dummy cakes?? I am going in a baby show and I have to make dummy cakes to put on display and I'd rather use MMF as it's cheaper!

ntertayneme Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 2:48pm
post #25 of 30

I left one sitting on my counter for almost a week (dummy cake) and it was fine.. I cover my dummies with saran wrap, use buttercream icing thick enough to cover all the saran and enough that I can smooth w/a Viva papertowel and then I apply the MMF ... when you're finished looking at the cake or want to practice some more, just pick up the cake, get over a trash can, grab the bottom of the sarah under the cake, peel and let it fall off into the trash can.. you then have a clean styrofoam dummy to reuse .. oh, and I don't buy the styrofoam dummies .. too expensive .. I buy the 2" thick stryrofoam sheets usually found in the floral section of craft stores, cut 2 of the size I want to practice with (I've done 9" circles and 9" squares), glue them together to make a 4" dummy and then cover w/saran, then decorate ... just works better for me and I can practice over and over without having to purchase more dummy cakes icon_smile.gif

jdogga Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 2:57pm
post #26 of 30

thanks! I want to be able to keep the dummies forever...to use as samples for people to physically see! I dont' need to cover the dummy in BC first do I?? Just piping gel or something to make it stick??

ntertayneme Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 3:01pm
post #27 of 30

I just use Glad press and seal wrap on mine ... http://www.cakecentral.com/article47-How-to-Make-and-Decorate-with-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html .. look by item #6 at the picture of my styrofoam dummy I used.. nothing under to hold it .. it stayed on just fine... It won't be real smooth and will gather up on the bottom and/or top but you can slather on your buttercream icing thick enough to cover it .. just remember to smooth your buttercream icing because the fondant will take on any imperfections you may have in the buttercream .. I smooth my buttercream after about 10-15 minutes with a Viva papertowel to get it really smooth before I apply my fondant .. good luck and let us know how it works for you!!

gdcox76 Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 10:20pm
post #28 of 30

This is my final success with the practice cake using MMF and making the drape. I attached some of the flowers (gumpaste) to the side just so it adds some of the brides colours for her to look at, she still hasn't made up her mind about the drape or if she wants me to decorate it with icing some other way. This is supposed to be a sample so she can make up her mind. I practiced the drape 2 times you might see a bit of the 1st drape in the picture I didn't make it come around the cake enough it was too short so I tried again. The actual wedding cake will have a ton more flowers and some ivy trailing down the sides. Its 3 tiers 14-10-6 and she is using the candle cake stand from Wilton.
LL
LL

ntertayneme Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 10:25pm
post #29 of 30

Your drape came out really prettygdcox76 !!

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 2:09am
post #30 of 30

Great job!! And if you made those flowers you should not have had any fears about the mmf. icon_biggrin.gif Great job!

Charlotte

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%