What To Charge??

Decorating By snoopy3 Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 8:22am by xstitcher

snoopy3 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 4:10am
post #1 of 6

I am horrible at figuring out what to charge. I am going to use the course 2 cake pans (ovals), she would like a marble cake, and I am going to do a basket weave and then I am making some chocolate butterflies for it. I really don't know what to charge! Do you think that $30 or $35 is too much? She also wants me to deliver - is $10 unrealistic! I have to bring my 2 kids with me (both still in car seats), find parking etc....

I never know what I should charge!

Thanks for any insight!!

5 replies
gucci Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 4:22am
post #2 of 6

I know what you mean about pricing...it's hard to put a price on your own goods! Although I'm a beginner and am not charging what I should (in order to first build my name), I have that cake priced at $14. This is without any extra ornamentation or delivery. I would say maybe between $30 and $35, depending on how far you have to drive and how many butterflies and other 'extras' you're applying. Also, are you including a filling? What I'm beginning to tell myself is that if they really want the cake that you're able to make for them, they're going to pay the price. We have to remind ourselves that we're in a business. But I should take some of my own advice, because I'm really bad at this!!

LittleLinda Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 6

I am unfamiliar with the cake; but I charge $28 for a cake that takes two cake mixes. As far as delivery, I just wanted to mention that whatever you charge for delivery shouldn't matter if you have to take children with you or not. It's not the customer's problem.

My rule of thumb is asking myself "what would I think is fair if I were the customer?"

snoopy3 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 6

I just kind of figured that most people pick up, I think I am doing the customer a favor by delivering. Maybe I am wrong?? Do most of you deliver? It seems that if you have anything else delivered (flowers, cookies etc) there is a fee, just wondering what it should be. Thanks for the advice!

LittleLinda Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 6

Rereading my last answer, I thought it sounded a little bitchy! Sorry if it sounded that way to you.

Yes, most people pick up cakes. I make cakes every week. For some people who are coming a bit far, I offer to meet them halfway at a public parking lot. I don't charge for that. But, most people should expect to pick up the cake.

Arrange it to be ready for pick up the day/night before if it's more convenient for them not to leave their house while getting ready for a party.

xstitcher Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 8:22am
post #6 of 6

Hi snoopy3!

I am just taking corse II and no where near ready to sell cakes but this is what I've found on most of the threads here:

1) You could always figure out a price per serving. Wilton has a chart that shows how many servings would be in this size cake.

I think CC has a link but if not here's Wilton's.
http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/times/party_2inch.cfm

I think it's 9 servings for a 2 layer cake for the course II oval pans (I don't do my cake until next week in class so I haven't actually checked out the size).

2) You could also try to go by hours spent (don't know how many people actually do that although I have read it on the forum links.) From what I understand the basketweave can be a little time consuming so maybe you could incorporate a cost per serving and then add a little extra for the intricate details.

3) If your just starting out and want to get your name out there you may want to offer her a discount (I've read on here that many decorators do that when just starting out to get repeat customers as well as referrals) but make sure you let her know that it's an introductory price so she doesn't think that it is your regular price.

P.S. I'm sure I've seen someone ask for price on this particular cake before and if memory serves the replies were to ask btwn $25-$35. I think one person posted almost double though because she said there was a lot of time involved in the decorating. So your not off by much!

I'm sure some of the more seasoned decorators that actually sell cakes will be able to help you more than I can though. Best of luck!

Cheers,
Parm

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%