Fondant Questions

Decorating By Pearl70 Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 1:06pm by Pearl70

Pearl70 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 8

what is the best fondant to work with for covering a cake? Homemade or store bought? I know that homemade taste alot better ,but if you are going for looks rather than taste,what would you use?

7 replies
Pearl70 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 8

bump...

candee2300 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 8

I've never tried store bought but everyone seems to like Satin Ice. I make my own fondant and it is so much cheaper than buying it. I've made the marshmallow fondant and regular fondant. I can give you the recipes if you want. They both work great and the taste is good too.

Texas_Rose Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 8

I've made both homemade regular fondant and homemade marshmallow fondant. The marshmallow behaves much better.

I've never tried store-bought. I don't order things online (don't use anything but cash anymore because of ID theft last year) so the only option I would have for store-bought fondant would be Wilton, and I've heard enough bad things about it to steer clear of it.

Anyhow, I have had very good results with MMF.

jlewis888 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 8

Candee2300--Could you post your recipes and the directions for "dummies"? I have just started using fondant--and I do not like Wilton. It tastes horrible.

Also, is there any retailer in Alabama that sells Satin Ice??

Pearl70 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 8

candee2300 I would love your recipes. I tried using the mmf to cover a cake and it was a total disaster.swore i would not do it again. it was like it was oily but cracked real easy, then i added more ps and then it was to dry ...I have no idea what i done wrong but it was a sad looking cake for sure!

candee2300 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:50am
post #7 of 8

Here's the link for the MMF http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

It shouldn't be sticky when you make it. I've learned through many disasters myself that you really need to knead the fondant to make it workable. Let it rest overnight too. When I have trouble with it being dry I pop it into the microwave for 20 secs (or more) to make it more pliable-that is my favorite trick.
I've never done dummies. But I've asked people and they said to cover them first with that new Press and Seal wrap and then cover with fondant. Or you can just wet them and cover with fondant, but you can't reuse the dummie.
The regular fondant recipe is from The Cake Bible-heres a link
http://cakeplace.blogspot.com/2006/11/rolled-fondant.html

Pearl70 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 8

candee2300, thank you for the recipes. the mmf is the one i use. I will try adding a little more Powder Sugar and see if it is better. So if it ends up a little dry i just need to microwave it for a few seconds?
Pearl

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%