Nicholas Lodge Or Scott Woolley Gum Paste Dvds/tools?

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 6:27pm by iamlis

Lori2240 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 13

I am thinking about investing in either the Nicholas Lodge or Scott Woolley training DVDs. The investment is quite a bit of money so I would appreciate anyone's input either positive or negative. I watched the previews of Scott's videos online and think they look great. The price however is a different story. The Nicholas Lodge DVDs are much more affordable. I was also going to purchase some tools from either individual as well. It apears the Nicholas Lodges uses different tools (Celboards, etc). Does anyone have any insight as to which is a good path to go down. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

12 replies
renee2007 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 13

Sorry, I can't help since I don't have either, But I am wondering about the replies. at least this will give you a bump icon_lol.gif

Lori2240 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 13

thanks, enquiring minds want to know icon_biggrin.gif

ibmoser Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 13

Well, I'm an admitted Nicholas Lodge groupie icon_lol.gif . I have almost every one of his DVDs, and they are all fantastic. He has quite a variety, and you can pick up one or two at a time. If you call his toll-free number, they can tell you which tools you need for each video right down to the colors and petal dusts so that you can follow along. The videos are very well done and very easy to understand and follow. I'm sure that SCW's DVDs are wonderful, and I'd almost kill for the opportunity to attend his classes, but I'll give Nic a two-thumbs-up any day!

Lori2240 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks for your input! I am so glad you told me that I can call and they will let me know what supplies I can get to follow along. I was probably just going to guess and pick a few supplies here and there and hope they were the right ones. (Duh... bad idea, I know). I was just hesitant to buy a few DVDs not seeing any previews. But in your opinion they are clear and you can see exactly what he is doing? Thanks again!!

Bellatheball Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 13

I've been looking for good DVDs or books too. Scott CW has several short instructional videos on youtube. You could look at those first and see if you like his teaching style.

sweetpea1972 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 13

I was lucky enough to get to take a Scott Clark Wooley class a few years ago. I haven't looked at the videos, but the classes were great so I'm sure the video is also. I've also ordered cutters from him (outside of the ones for the class) and he is very attentive and great to work with via email.

He was very entertaining... I learned alot about specific flowers in the class, but more importantly, I learned alot about hand coloring, technique that I've used on alot of cakes since then.

Hope this helps!

tonedna Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 13

I am another Nicholas Lodge groupie!...But I never used Scott's techniques.. so I Have no idea about him.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

iamlis Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 13

Oh nic Lodge is so great (I am taking 2 of his classes next week! I JUST LOVE HIM!) You will not regret buying his DVD's either, I would start out here, and I would start out with his "Video Catalog" it was such a great tool for me starting out-it goes through all the tools you use and how to use them for what effect. They are BOTH great-but Nic Lodge is so easy to follow on TV and in person.

bigmama1961 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:16pm
post #10 of 13

iamlis Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:18pm
post #11 of 13
Lori2240 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:20pm
post #12 of 13

thanks for the great feedback. 1 last question. In his DVDs, Does Nicholas Lodge get into detail about the painting/dusting of the flowers. I am not so good at that and that is something Id really like to learn. Thanks!

iamlis Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:27pm
post #13 of 13

If you get one of his gum paste flower DVD's specifically you can see him make the flowers in great detail.

Quote by @%username% on %date%