Help With Baby Blocks

Decorating By 3angels Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 11:59am by ranbel

3angels Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 12

Hello everyone. I need help with making baby blocks. A client of mine wants her son's name "Lawrence" spelled out with baby blocks. I told her that it would be to time consuming to do blocks made out of cake. I don't even want to try that. Can someone please help me with what other way that I can do the blocks other then fondant or gumpaste. The cake is to be done by Saturday morning coming. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Love Cake Central icon_confused.gif

11 replies
miny Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 5:04am
post #2 of 12

For me the easiest way to go will be the little cakes, just make an extra single layer square cake, cut, cover in fondant and decorate with royal icing, you can even make them ahead of time and just use them to decorate your cake or if you think it's to much cake you can make them out of styrofoam but it's expensive and hard to get a clean sharp cut. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Bettycrockermommy Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 12

You can get styrofoam at Michael's or walmart to make the baby blocks. If you decide to go with the little cake blocks, refrigerate them well before you try to cover them. They are tricky little suckers to cover if they are not cold enough. icon_sad.gif

I have done the blocks both ways, and by far, it was easier to use the styrofoam. I did 6 blocks with the little cakes, and I was ready to scream and kill after the first one kept sliding all over the place. icon_mad.gificon_lol.gif

Here is a link for the real cake blocks.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1178798

And a link to the styrofoam blocks.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1192022

Good luck with your cake! I can't wait to see it!

Molly2 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 12

How about Rice-Krispys treats they are pretty easy to mold and if they are not the right shape you can always reheat them and mold it again

Molly2

sarahnichole975 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 12

I agree molly2, I'd go for the rkt. You could press them firmly into a lightly greased pan, turn them out, and then cut them into the desired size. Then you could easily cover them in fondant and paint on the letters.

shisharka Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 12

I donât think it would be that bad time-wise to make them out of cake⦠Four 8x8â squares, 2â thick would give you the eight blocks necessary to spell the name⦠Either fondant or buttercream to cover them, then I think they would be the right size to use alphabet cookie cutters to slap fondant letters on them... Is that something that might work, or did I misunderstand the request?

ranbel Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:08am
post #7 of 12

I just done a baby shower cake last weekend with baby blocks made of
gumpaste...I WILL NEVER EVER DO THAT AGAIN...it took way to much of
my time....

I highly recommend using an alternate method, what ever it may be...

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

Molly2 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:20am
post #8 of 12

Oh ranbel I just looked at your cake it's perfect how exactly did you make the blocks if you don't mind me asking

Molly2 thumbs_up.gif

mommyle Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:33am
post #9 of 12

I've done them with cake. Other than the baking, it takes the same amount of time to decorate foam as it does cake. And really, cake is yummier. You could try poured fondant on them. That would be faster.

topaz176 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:46am
post #10 of 12

Which poured fondant recipe do you recommend?

3angels Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 3:20am
post #11 of 12

I just want to thank everyone who replied to my post on baby blocks. They were good ideas. I'll try some of the methods before agreeing to make them the next time. I talked my client out of the baby blocks. We'll go with cupcakes decorated like Sesame Street characters.

3Angels icon_biggrin.gif

ranbel Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:59am
post #12 of 12

Molly2,

They are made of gumpaste with fondant accents. They did turn out nice, but as I mentioned, they were a pain in my rear. The actual blocks were not that bad, it was getting all 4 corners attached and waiting for them to dry. I used fondant adhesive to attach them with.

Thanks for the compliment, have a wonderful day cc'ers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%